• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATI and ABX Merging

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So because of the lack of home basing on the 767 (except for the first class), it went very junior, and now they will spend tens of thousands of dollars per pilot to train them and then lay them off a few months later only to train another group at considerable cost to replace them. And they can't reach a T/A with the union to avoid that?

According to your new boss J.H., training costs nothing, already own the sim instructors on salary. Welcome to the new ATSG!

Is the ATI 767 training being conducted by ABX?

According to your new boss J.H., training costs nothing, already own the sim instructors on salary. Welcome to the new ATSG!

True, but in order to keep the companies separate, ATI is not using ABX sims or instructors. I think they are using Alteon. At the rate guys are bailing out, it might be a moot point in the very near future. It takes 6 months to a year to get an instructor up to speed, ABX has already lost 30% of the 767 instructors. The feeling is that ABX has already entered the death spiral, so everyone is interviewing and looking for a new home. Very sad.

True, but in order to keep the companies separate, ATI is not using ABX sims or instructors. I think they are using Alteon. At the rate guys are bailing out, it might be a moot point in the very near future. It takes 6 months to a year to get an instructor up to speed, ABX has already lost 30% of the 767 instructors. The feeling is that ABX has already entered the death spiral, so everyone is interviewing and looking for a new home. Very sad.

30%? we have only had 1 767 crewmember leave, a captain but he was not an instructor.

ATI is not using ABX sims or instructors. I think they are using Alteon.

Yep, we're using Alteon. We have two FNG new hires who bid the MIA base currently in training. Otherwise, we have two home based Capts who have actually flown the jet for certification, etc. There are two more Capts and 4 FOs, all home based, who have completed ground training and type rides but have been sitting around with nothing to fly, and they're no longer DC-8 qualified either, so there's that, and all the other guys who were either JAd, downgraded into, or bid it (FNGs) are still flying or learning to fly the DC-8, since there appears to be no need to train them on the 767 just yet.

BAX loads seem to be down lately, too, enough so that Cappy flew one of our normal runs this morning. In the past, such events usually took place as a one-for-one swap, where we'd go to one of their normal cities, but when I left the hub this morning, two of our beautiful DC-8s were sitting idle, the crew that was supposed to fly that trip was sent home, and not a single 727 was on the ramp. We actually started looking at 727s several years ago! Of course, that went no where and instead, we've suffered having 767s and other types dangled in front of our hungry eyes for years, and now that we're starting to get them, we seem to have no apparent plan as to what to do with them. Nor do we seem interested in finding business for our DC-8s. All these fine jets, the wealth of knowledge and experience in how to use them, a certificate enabling so much, and we just sit.

Our 757 crews didn't fly the airplane for almost a year after training. Just wait, if they do the same as our guys they will blame the FAA and everyone else but themselves if its delayed. Maybe we don't have a monopoly on incompetent office staff. It must be an ATSG thing.

ABX has lost more than 1 767 crewmember. I know of at least 1 in the right seat and have heard of at least a few in the left. A lot more in the "waiting to hear" catagory. And I'm in the 9

Latest resources

Back