ATC's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ipilot:
Back to the original theme, here. You were right to take your time, and make sure your student had his stuff done and checked. I get rushed all the time at large airports, and if we're not ready, we ask for a few seconds. No biggie, except sometimes they "forget" about you after that! IF you're not ready to go at the runway at ORD and DFW, you might be waiting a while!

D A M N Whippersnapper..

Stick to the dirt/grass strips to avoid your problems with ATC.

ATC and English

I agree with the others. You are the PIC. You are responsible for the safety of the flight per 14 CFR 91.3(a), which states "The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft." Usually, if you approach ATC politely, you'll get courteous cooperation.

I've always told young people who want to be pilots that they should take as much math, science, physics, English and speech as possible. Why English and speech? Because they will be writing to and meeting with all kinds of people during their flying careers, a good many of which will be older than them, i.e. adults. They will be writing business letters, cover letters, resumes and reports. They will be speaking with H.R. people, "the boss," mechanics, customers, pax and co-workers. If you don't speak well and write at least correctly, the people whom you want to impress will think that you're a moron and will not take you seriously. Moreover, if you don't write correctly you come across as being slovenly. You don't have to be Hemmingway to write correct English.

Think about it.

Last edited:
While we're on the subject of pet peeves ....

For those of you who slept through college English, 'anyways' is NOT A GODD@MN WORD! And the next person using 'your' for 'you're' gets a visit from the Baseball Bat Fairy.

:D

Minh

(Off to night school ...)

Anyways, I think your rite.

Wot is rong with speling funy, anyways? Gist bekos sum of us donut rite reel gud its no gud reson to git mad or nothin. Anyways, anybody whos anybody nows that airplans fli kos of money, not smarts. Rite?

Think abowt it lik this: yu kan teech a monke to fli if yu hav enuf money, but yu kan never teech him to spel gud.

:D :D :D

Mmmm donuts! (doughnuts?)

Anyway, AvBug's response reminds me of a poem I once read.

• Eye half a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.