• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATC causes VERY near miss betw regional & major

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, look who George Bush didn't leave behind. Any English expert would agree that the term "near hit" would more accurately describe this aeronautical phenomenon than the term "near miss" does. "Narrowly avoid" would trump them both.

I'll thank my teachers for my education. :)

The planes nearly (adv.) hit (vb.) each other, but it was a near (adj.) miss (n.).

The planes at Teneriffe nearly missed each other, but they did hit.

Ooh, wait - I found something that might help:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hf-HBMq9ggg

Last edited:
Thanks IC, I thought my initial reply to XPOO would have cleared things up for him and his ilk.

Thanks IC, I thought my initial reply to XPOO would have cleared things up for him and his ilk.

XPOO's ilk probably had their eyes on Susie Short Skirt in English class rather than on the blackboard where they belonged.

(Wait a minute! WTF was I thinking?!?)

That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

Ya'll don't listen to much George Carlin.

"Oh look... they nearly missed......"

George Carlin:

"When two planes almost collide, they call it a near miss. IT'S A NEAR HIT! A collision is a near miss. POOOF, look, they nearly missed. YES, BUT NOT QUITE!"

George Carlin is a funny guy. I have a book George Carlin wrote. George Carlin, sir, is no English expert.

Anyway the horizontal separation was 3 miles...hardly close..

I was DH-ing on that flight to LGA. The first time I knew about the 'near-miss' was reading it in the news. It seemed like a normal flight from the back. Typical NYC slow downs, but heck, we even got in early!

I flew with a captain that almost had a mid-air with a guy in a hanglider at around 4000'.

I bet HIS (hanglider) shorts were a bit mushy afterward. Capt said he rolled into 45ish degrees of bank to avoid. I think he said it was one of those powered glider rigs.

...hot day with lots of thermals too...

I almost hit a kite once

One of my buddies flying a Hawker actually HIT a glider out by Reno in a descent. Miraculously, the glider pilot was able to bail and open his chute. The Hawker was pretty banged up but everyone came out of it ok.

Latest resources

Back