• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Voice Of Reason

Reading Is Fundamental !
5 hrs ago news posted only in one small news site:

Officials: Planes avoid mid-air crash
The Associated Press
Article Launched: 03/06/2008 021:27 AM MST

OBERLIN, Ohio—Two airplanes carrying more than 120 passengers narrowly averted a mid-air collision east of Pittsburgh after an air traffic control trainee told a Delta Air Lines pilot to turn into the path of an oncoming plane, officials said. The Delta pilot made a nosedive and missed the plane by about 400 feet, the Federal Aviation Administration said. The other pilot also took evasive action, the FAA said.
A cockpit collision avoidance system alerted the pilots to the danger.
Delta Flight 1654 was en route from Cincinnati to LaGuardia International Airport in New York Tuesday morning and was carrying 57 passengers. The other plane, PSA Flight 2273, was flying from Wilkes-Barre, Pa., to Charlotte, N.C. It had 70 people on board.
PSA is a subsidiary of Tempe, Ariz.-based US Airways Group, Inc. Delta Air Lines Inc. is based in Atlanta.
The controller only had about a year on the job, said Melissa Ott, National Air Traffic Controllers spokeswoman at the Cleveland Air Route Traffic Control Center in Oberlin.
"We watched the recording of the incident three times and each time I said, 'Oh my God,'" Ott said. "It was the closest call I have ever seen in my 18 years of air traffic control."
FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory called the incident an operational error. She said a second controller was working with the trainee at the time.
"This ended with the aircraft taking the appropriate action," Cory said. "The controllers will be retrained." :erm:
A Delta spokeswoman said the passengers "were never in danger."

I love when airplanes nearly miss each other. It's usually better when they actually miss each other though.

First off...how did the media get this.

2nd..."nose dive"??? Makes it sound like an airshow maneuver at show center.

What about the other plane...did they do a "nose climb, up...uh...un-dive"???

Stupid media.

XPOO (and everyone else that has a problem with term "near miss"):

We can all agree it was a miss. What kind of miss was it? a good miss, bad miss, upside-down miss, whatever miss you want to call it. Using the word near in front of the word miss just describes what KIND of a miss it was. (If it was a far miss that would be different than a near miss, etc., etc., etc.) I hope you're catching my drift.

I'm just tired of people complaining about the term "near miss" when it is a perfectly sensible expression.

BTW this incident is definitely added reason to keep a good lookout going whenever possible. Just last week I was flying in that sector with a deferred TCAS. Makes you think...

I flew with a captain that almost had a mid-air with a guy in a hanglider at around 4000'.

I bet HIS (hanglider) shorts were a bit mushy afterward. Capt said he rolled into 45ish degrees of bank to avoid. I think he said it was one of those powered glider rigs.

...hot day with lots of thermals too...

I almost hit a kite once

Low time pilots, low time controllers, low time mechanics. This is the reality of modern aviation.

Ya'll be careful out there!

-low-ish time pilot

Low time pilots, low time controllers, low time mechanics. This is the reality of modern aviation.

Ya'll be careful out there!

-low-ish time pilot

And low price of tickets, PEOPLE DON'T CARE!! as long as they can get low price. Sad reality of our industry.

In defense of myself, and those who rationally think like me, the word phrase near miss is unintentionally misleading. When taken litterally, you can easily see the confusion the phrase can cause. However, being a rational thinking person, one can only conclude that, in all actuality, the two narrowly avoided each other. Near miss just takes up less headline space than narrowly avoid.

I love when airplanes nearly miss each other. It's usually better when they actually miss each other though.

Yeah, that's great! LOL! Like, oh my god!

You know what I love? English! It's reeaally fun. It's got adverbs and adjectives and other neat-o parts of speech! I heard about this one that modifies a noun - totally rad.

Like someone else said: It was a miss. What kind of miss? A near miss.

Latest resources

Back