ATC Benefits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bob weaver

Did ATC lose some benefits with the latest contract? I had heard that the pension might not be as good as it once was, any info. would be appreciated.

Did ATC lose some benefits with the latest contract? I had heard that the pension might not be as good as it once was, any info. would be appreciated.

It would take an act of congress to change their pension. The FAA imposed a B scale for the new guys but I don't think much of the "benefits" changed with the IWR.

All the benefits, including FERS (Federal Employee Retirement System) is the same. The only thing that changed was the new and improved B pay scale.

atl pilot

just curious. can you elaborate on the improved portion of the B scale. I'm not saying this to attack you at all. I'm just curious because a lot of people have been complaining about the new payscale and work rules and I'm curious to hear your side being actively involved. If you want to pm me with the details that is cool too. Your advice is great on here, since you are actively involved.

Going out on a limb to say he was probably being sarcastic. I got 3 friends that have nothing good to say about the new pay scale.

Being an old-timer and close to retirement, I am in the old pay scale. What the changes have done to me is limit my pay annual increases that I would have recieved, b/c I am at the top of the pay band. This, in turn, limits my earning potential when figuring out my pension. This is b/c FERS pension is based upon the average of the "highest 3 consecutive years of pay" within your entire career. My annual pay raises have been somewhat lessened (but are not completely gone - as promoted by NATCA) from what they would have been had they not imposed the new pay and work rules....I would have probably earned (maybe) an additional $3-4ooo per year when I retire - not a huge deal.

For someone coming into the FAA now, the B-Scale (if thats what you'd like to call it for simplicity), is very similiar to what we had before "Reclass" happened in 1998. The earning potential is currently smaller, but in a career span of 20-25 years, this new pay scale will increase much like ours did back in the last decade.

If this helps, I copied this explanation and link off another site (ATCMonitor.com), but it all looks correct. This is the New B-Scale data.

FAA Air Traffic Control Pay Scale - 2008

The pay scale for 2008 can be found below. I suggest you print it out so that you can follow along. Make sure your printer is set to landscape.

https://employees.faa.gov/employee_s...o_locality.xls

I know the FAA designed the pay scale to be easy to read (sarcasm spoiler), but I've taken the time to help you understand it better.

On the left side of the page is the Career Level column. This column represents your progression through the training program. It has been divided into five sections described below:

AG: Initial hire pay grade. This is the pay grade that all off-the-street (OFTS) and Collegiate Training Initiative (CTI) students will be paid AFTER they graduate from the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City. Starting pay for those groups is $8.50 an hour. Veteran Military controllers hired under the VRA program will begin this pay grade on the first day of class at the FAA Academy. All Academy students will receive per diem pay to help cover the cost of food and lodging while you are in Oklahoma City.

D1: This is the first pay raise. AFTER you have completed 25% of the training requirements at your duty facility, you will be promoted to this pay band. ARTCC controllers: this is after you are certified on 2-3 D-Sides in your area. Terminal controllers: Sorry...don't have an answer for you.

D2: This the second pay raise. AFTER you have completed 50% of the training requirements at your duty facility, you will be promoted to this pay band. ARTCC controllers: this is after you are certified on ALL D-Sides in your area.

D3: This is the third pay raise. AFTER you have completed 75% of the training requirements at your duty facility, you will be promoted to this pay band. ARTCC controllers: this is after you have completed radar school, and are certified on 2-3 radar positions.

CPC: This is the final pay raise you will receive when you have completed the training program.

Note: If you are an initial hire (all hiring sources) you will always be paid the minimum while in training.

At the top of the pay scale are nine columns numbered from 4 to 12. They represent the facility complexity level. Most ARTCCs are Level 10-12 facilities. When you receive an offer letter, it will disclose the facility level.

Now for an example. Jenny, a VRA hire, has been hired at Atlanta ARTCC (Level-12). On the first day of class at the FAA Academy, she will be paid an annual salary of $33,100 (not including the locality for Oklahoma City). Locality for Oklahoma City is 13.18%. Her total salary will be $37,463. Jenny successfully graduates the FAA Academy, and moves to Atlanta to begin work. On her first day at Atlanta ARTCC, she will be paid $33,100 plus the locality pay for Atlanta (17.3%). Her new total salary is $38,826. Over the course of the next 10 months, Jenny completes the first 25% of the training program and is promoted. Her new total salary is $52,052. During the next 20 months, Jenny completes the training program. Her final salary starts at $91,729 and the maximum she can make is $127,857 (the true amount will be more as locality and pay band levels increase each year). Overall, Jenny is doing pretty well.

I cannot provide examples for the Terminal environment, since I work at ZTL. I don't know what the training time frames are like at those facilities, except that they are shorter that ARTCCs. If you are hired at a Terminal facility you can expect to complete the training program in under 24 months. All facilities (ARTCCs and Terminals) have different training programs, each with its own "bottle neck" and delays. Be prepared for the unexpected.

Here is a list of the 2008 Locality Pay Rates:

Atlanta 17.30%
Boston 22.51%
Buffalo 15.37%
Chicago 23.16%
Cincinnati 17.77%
Cleveland 17.11%
Columbus 15.80%
Dallas 18.74%
Dayton 15.26%
Denver 21.03%
Detroit 22.53%
Hartford 23.97%
Houston 27.39%
Huntsville 14.23%
Indianapolis 13.51%
Los Angeles 25.26%
Miami 19.11%
Milwaukee 16.73%
Minneapolis 19.43%
New York 26.36%
Philadelphia 20.14%
Phoenix 14.74%
Pittsburgh 14.93%
Portland 18.72%
Raleigh 16.82%
Richmond 15.40%
Sacramento 20.25%
San Diego 22.00%
San Francisco 32.53%
Seattle 19.75%
Washington 20.89%

Rest of U.S. 13.18%

If you don't see the city you will be working in or near, then you are in the "Rest of U.S." group.

The old scale is as follows:
https://employees.faa.gov/employee_...dia/Reference B June 11 2006 ATPay Tables.xls

The importanat thing to remember is that the pay bands will grow with each new years cost of living adjustment, so the new will look like the old before long (a decade or so).

Additionally, I just do not know too many jobs where you young folks can get a guaranteed pension PLUS a 401K (we call it TSP - Thrift Savings Plan) with great matching contributions (as an example for the TSP: Right now the max contribution you can make annually is $15,500, since we get paid every 2 weeks or 26 times per year, I contribute $596 per pay period....the FAA then matches it with $245). This money is deposited into your account on pay day, not weeks later (like ASA does to its employees), so it starts earning interest immediately.

Also the medical benefits you will get through govt service are far superior to that in mainstream civillean world. And these too, can be taken into retirement with you while the govt continues to make their contributions. Yes, you will have to pay some, but the choices and coverages and better than what the average bear sees. My sisters constantly whine about how much greater my choices are than theirs working in the private sector.

As for the imposed work rules. Some of the new management methods are a bit aggravating, but you will have this anywhere you go. Business casual attire is required (dockers, polo shirt and loafers are completely acceptable - whats the big deal?), we work a staight 8-hour shift and are alotted a 30-minute break within that 8 for lunch....we can no longer leave the building to eat - carry your lunch - we were always suppposed to be readily recallable during this period if needed anyway, Can't have your cell phone in the working area.....why would you need it anyway? Pay attention to your airplanes, put it in your locker and check for messages on your breaks. Some of the complaining is really silly in my opinion. It really isn't that bad, we just were allowed to be REALLY lax for quit awhile, and now they've reined us in a bit, and people are complaining.

I still love my job. The pay and benefits are great (even under the new band), and for what I do (even at ATL) I get paid really well for not having any deadlines, or work to take home with me. Yes, I have to work shift work. That's a downside but a reality in this industry.

I would encourage anyone who has a desire, to give it a whirl. You will not find a better career, or a career where you can retire and start earning your govt pension at age 50, or younger if you've given 25 years of service before your 50th b-day (I will be eligible to retire 1 month after I turn 48 years old).

The hype is BS. Every job is going to have issues. This one has its fair share, but the pay and benies (incl the retirement) are worth the effort! Don't let the NATCA propoganda machine lead you away from something that can be really profitable for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions, I am happy to try any answer them for you!

Last edited:
The fact that the FAA imposed their work rules and B scale is what irks a lot of people. The process didn't require the FAA to negotiate in good faith. If there was a TA and a majority of bargaining unit members ratified it, you wouldn't be hearing the "NATCA propaganda."

Its easy for old timers to say that the B scale is not that bad but since they have benefited from NATCA's ability to get reclass through in 98 (and continue to benefit from that pay scale) its a B scale none the less.

I'm not saying that its not a well compensated career but it would have been better if it weren't for the unfair negotiating process under which the B scale came about.

That's all true. However, when I entered into this field back in the 1980s, we did not even have any thoughts of Reclass or even NATCA (it didn't exist at the time). Our pay is driven by politics. This too shall come to pass. In the duration of a 20-25 year career there is a lot of room for change and growth, much like we encountered in 1998 with Reclass.

And I will say it again: In today's world I do not know of any job, be it ATC or something else, where you will recieve both a pension and 401K at the end, plus be able to retire at such a young age.

No matter where you work there will always be something you do not like. This is a government job - thats a downside - as everything is politically driven. The republicans will not be in power forever.

Last edited:
That's all true. However, when I entered into this field back in the 1980s, we did not even have any thoughts of Reclass or even NATCA (it didn't exist at the time). Our pay is driven by politics. This too shall come to pass. In the duration of a 20-25 year career there is a lot of room for change and growth, much like we encountered in 1998 with Reclass.

And I will say it again: In today's world I do not know of any job, be it ATC or something else, where you will recieve both a pension and 401K at the end, plus be able to retire at such a young age.

No matter where you work there will always be something you do not like. This is a government job - thats a downside - as everything is politically driven. The republicans will not be in power forever.

Understood, I was just trying to take some of the sugarcoat off your last post.;)

And I will say it again: its easy for old timers to say that the B scale is not that bad when they continue to benefit from the A scale.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back