Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mt2

road warrior
Wow, big day Friday. Over 1 million shares traded of ATAH. What the heck is going on here ?? Anyone hear anything out there ??

MT

Bussiness Class...didn't you hear...gonna save the company.

Oh yeah.....100 seaters as soon as concessions are passed - see new handle. Can't wait, gonna be on the property any day.

And rumors of COO J.H. leaving at the end of the year. His replacement will be the Indy dentist guy from the board of directors.

Sorry.....about the sarcasm.

JEF

mt2 said:
Wow, big day Friday. Over 1 million shares traded of ATAH. What the heck is going on here ?? Anyone hear anything out there ??
It's called a short squeeze. The hedge funds start buying shares low thus forcing all the shorts to cover. It feeds on itself. I have my doubts it would be something positive, but if it is we should know something this week.

JEF --

Sarcasm happens to be one of my better traits;)

I've heard the Hlavcek rumor too. Perhaps investors are as excited about it as our pilots !!

MT

LEC Guys say

Building 1 was crawling with lawyers on Friday. I don't know if they are there to plan for bankruptcy, merger or sale.

Any ideas?

Rumors are flying over at SWA! Possible purchase of all ATA's assets (except personnel). Rumors of trading 757's for 737's with other carriers to make their respective positions stronger in respect to Jet Blue, AirTran and others. L10's are spoken for by a foreign cargo carrier. A possible purchase of "firesale" items from USAIR is also part of the whole "equation." It will be a business deal between several carriers that will ensure that USAir is gone and ATA's equipment is operating for other carriers. This will reduce supply and increase demand (via the "Southwest Effect")at the same time creating a "pre 911" environment.

Hear the only sticking point is with personnel issues. ATA wants the employees to go with the equipment and SWA says no-way. Apparently they are in the final stages of working out a "preferrential interview" deal with no guarantees for the ATA employees.
SWA will be the largest carrier in the world (A/C and passengers carried) by May 05.

Stock should trade in the mid to upper $20 by March.

From hopeful:
Rumors are flying over at SWA! Possible purchase of all ATA's assets (except personnel). Rumors of trading 757's for 737's with other carriers to make their respective positions stronger in respect to Jet Blue, AirTran and others. L10's are spoken for by a foreign cargo carrier. A possible purchase of "firesale" items from USAIR is also part of the whole "equation." It will be a business deal between several carriers that will ensure that USAir is gone and ATA's equipment is operating for other carriers. This will reduce supply and increase demand (via the "Southwest Effect")at the same time creating a "pre 911" environment.

This sounds pretty far fetched to me. Last I heard SWA wanted no planes bigger than their -700's. ATA flies only the -800 which is much larger. I could see them being interested in the MDW gates and that's about all. Also, ATA was just awarded an expensive contract of flying for the DOD. So if the Tritanics go to some "foreign cargo-carrier" how will they service that account?

The rumors are flying thick and hot here at AWA too. They're about a lot more 757's on the property soon. Since the '57 is out of production, we'd have to be getting them from some other carrier (hint, hint). In the last vacancy bid, several senior check airmen types switched over from the Airbus to the '57 for no apparent reason too. We are working on ETOPS for the 757 fleet with hopes of starting Hawaii service in 2006. However our current '57s are too old to make it through, so we must be getting more soon. Also, the instructors have been told to get ready for a large hiring cycle soon. Just some things to think about.

HAL

I wonder how Aloha fits into this picture...we have rumors flying about someone buying us as well. We are in the process of selling off cargo and contract services, and we are already beginning the shedding of interisland flying. All that would be left (and lucrative) is the -700 ETOPS flying.

America Aloha Trans Air West? Has a ring to it, doesn't it? ;)

Latest resources

Back