Ata-ygbsm

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
atafan said:
It is true that C8 was a well run efficient airline that did an excellent job feeding ATA. I spoke to senior management at ATA and I was told the reason ATA is selling C8 was because the airline did not make a profit. C8 lossed money every month. ATA's ticket prices are so low that by the time you added in that extra leg that C8 flew it did nothing but lose money, every leg. Period.

Beyond false. C8 has never, ever, been a money loser for ATA. In fact way back in the last profitable quarter for ATA, C8 alone accounted for $10 million of profit and were the reason ATA eeked out a few million of profit. Remember all 100,000 of C8's passengers wouldn't even fly mainline if not for C8, so you have to take all that revenue out too.

The reason C8 is being shutdown is because ATA has shrunk to the point there will be little for C8 to feed and they will start to lose money... but C8 NEVER lost ATA money at MDW, never.

ATA management can feed the same line of you know what that they always have and you still believe it?

Folks, I think you are reading Capt. Megadeath wrong. No doubt Chicago Express couldn't have done well without ATA to feed (assuming they wouldn't have found a deal with another airline.) Clearly C8's role was to feed.

The point is C8 did that feed incredibly well and the only reason C8 is failing now is because ATA failed them by poorly running their primary mainline business to the point where there was nothing left for C8 to feed.

ATA management never had forward looking vision, never for their own company, and certainly not for C8. It is that lack of vision that sees a really neat little commuter fade from the scene, to followed by ATA mainline no doubt. :-(

I heard that CEA is gone for a couple of reasons, the main one was SWA did not want the 100,000 passengers C8 carried into MDW going on to other airlines. They did not have the control over all these passengers that they wanted (some would go onto other airlines) and SWA wants complete control over MDW.

You know what don't lecture us " oh, we should be happy" . Get off your high horse you pompous SOB. I am just so "happy" I had the opportunity, and I would like to thank my rampers, and the bus drivers, and the FO's, and the fuelers, and the flight attendants for allowing me to live this dream. This is my fourth regional that has been totally mismanaged. I am NOT going back to $18,000 dollars a year. I have given enough sweat and tears and money.

CEA management tried every way they could to convince ATA managment to grow the airline, sign a codeshare with someone else, anything to make money for the parent company. CEA was owned by ATAH and they refused to allow CEA to expand even though that is where the growth was in this business. A prime example of the mismangement is that ATAH announced the closing and the airline lost millions of dollars in value. The FAA will pull the certificate if it is not kept alive. Maybe ATAH should have thought of that in there "marathon" meeting. So now they change their mind and offer CEA up for sale. If they had down that when CEA was viable and operating it was worth significantly more..

The blame for the failure(s) should be put where the blame is deserved.

350DRIVER said:
Seems all emotion to me as well. Without ATA they would have gone no where. In reality they were feeding ATA and not vice versa, not overly hard to comprehend or understand. Amazing how someone can put the blame on the company who made them what they are (or were) today. Most of the folks should thank their lucky stars they had the opportunity to be there for the time that they were instead of b!tching, complaining and placing blame somewhere that it is not deserved.

Let's look at the big picture instead of focusing in on all emotion.

Best of luck to all of ATA, Mac, keep your chin up- that jet sim may get you back full time!!.

3 5 0

canyonblue said:
By the way, it is spelled "you're". Tool.:rolleyes:
It’s called grammar. You should try it sometimes.

Period goes inside the quotation marks. :D :D

(Rarely does a grammar or spelling correction go by that doesn't contain one itself. It's an ugly spiral. :) )

350DRIVER said:
Seems all emotion to me as well. Without ATA they would have gone no where. In reality they were feeding ATA and not vice versa, not overly hard to comprehend or understand. Amazing how someone can put the blame on the company who made them what they are (or were) today. Most of the folks should thank their lucky stars they had the opportunity to be there for the time that they were instead of b!tching, complaining and placing blame somewhere that it is not deserved.

Let's look at the big picture instead of focusing in on all emotion.

Best of luck to all of ATA, Mac, keep your chin up- that jet sim may get you back full time!!.

3 5 0

Actually, I really don't think canyonblue is a tool, I think YOU are. Hmmmmm, let's see, yes I got a great opportunity at C8 because of ATA but I still have friends there that wanted to make a career there. Thank my lucky stars? I already thanked ATA and C8 by working for near poverty level wages for 5 years. I don't owe them anything. ATA management made money for themselves off the backs of everyone working for them for nearly next to nothing. How's that for emotion? My fiancee flies there and is 14 numbers from upgrade and now has to start from scratch only to probably sit as an FO for 5 years. I am not even going to explain myself to you any further.....I am wasting my time. You won't get it.

If C8 was not making any money then TZ would have sold them off a long time ago. The fact is they needed the regional commuter to compete against SWA. If they had a codeshare with another regional that would have cost them more, and ATA management did not want to pay a fee for departure. I am sure there are other airlines salivating at the chance to move into MDW where it is part of the #2 airline market (Chicago overall) in the US. Maybe C8 should have lost money and been sold off. They would have had control over there destiny instead of going down with a sinking ship.

adios...

Again this is a sorry situation for all - good luck to all C8 and ATA crewmembers whatever your destiny is. I enjoyed working with you all. It was a great airline.

atafan said:
It is true that C8 was a well run efficient airline that did an excellent job feeding ATA. I spoke to senior management at ATA and I was told the reason ATA is selling C8 was because the airline did not make a profit. C8 lossed money every month. ATA's ticket prices are so low that by the time you added in that extra leg that C8 flew it did nothing but lose money, every leg. Period.

Chicago Express will be sold, hopefully to an airline management team that knows how to run a profitable airline and all you Chico guys and gals will still be employed.

Southwest doesn't care what C8 flew they are only going to code share with ATA not any other airline. ATA has no business running a regional airline, the old management couldn't even run one airline profitably.

This is not Southwest's fault so please stop the Luv bashing, they really are only concerned with their own revenue.

Hey, Taz stop being a homo. Stop insulting the senior members of this board... we don't need to hear it from some rookie T/P driver that works for a lesser carrier.

That was all humor except for the first sentence, that was from the heart.

capt. megadeth said:
Actually, I really don't think canyonblue is a tool, I think YOU are. Hmmmmm, let's see, yes I got a great opportunity at C8 because of ATA but I still have friends there that wanted to make a career there. Thank my lucky stars? I already thanked ATA and C8 by working for near poverty level wages for 5 years. I don't owe them anything. ATA management made money for themselves off the backs of everyone working for them for nearly next to nothing. How's that for emotion? My fiancee flies there and is 14 numbers from upgrade and now has to start from scratch only to probably sit as an FO for 5 years. I am not even going to explain myself to you any further.....I am wasting my time. You won't get it.

After what you guys have been through and are going through, you don't need to explain anymore. Its a crappie deal no matter what or who is to blame. After one furlough and two other moderate chances of being furloughed, I still had it better than your fiancee. The company is going out of business. That sucks. I see and understand the frustration you have and the need to vent. Go for it. Your amongst friends.

Best of luck to you and your fiancee. I admire your support to him and your friends.

TAZ MAN said:
Best of luck to you and your fiancee. I admire your support to him and your friends.

How do you know it is a Him? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Just Kidding Capt. M

Thanks to everyone for the support! :) Things will work out somehow for everyone.

Latest resources

Back