Ata Or Awa???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heavy Set

You are obviously trying to get on at ATA. Already you are complaining about the bases? And the cold? And the finances? And the MDW incident? That wasn't about the MDW airport, that was all about not following company proedures and not flying a stablized approach.

When the wx gets bad and the snow starts flying, the airport does a pretty good job keeping it clean, or NO ONE will get to land. ATA mans an internal "snow desk" to give up to date braking action reports from other company aircraft.

Most ATA pilots based in MDW don't live in MDW.

Postage stamp?

Last time I checked, runways at MDW were longer than 6000 feet. I don't live in my dear old home town any more, and yes, it is cold there. It's cold many places this time of year. I don't work for ATA either, but from what I gather, they have reserve work rules that are absolutely second to none. Commutable reserve? You've got to be kidding me. Anywhere else, those two things are mutually exclusive.

Realizing, too, that industry standard for reserve callout is 2 hours (at least, what some would call "short" call) -- I'm not taking a shot at AWA here, but isn't your reserve call out 90 minutes? Food for thought.

-brew3

Flyndesk,

It was just tongue and cheek guys... I said "most" ATA pilots - not all. Hey, I'd give my left nut to fly for ATA - I have always said that... Personally, anyone who can land at all at MDW during a snow storm with low visibility deserves a huge pat on the back. I forgot about the LAX hub - I would probably choose that if I had the possibility.

Looking forward to seeing ATA 767s on the line soon.

ATA or AWA??

All I can think of is.....Uma Oprah, Oprah Uma

Heavy Set,

While MDW is no walk in the park it is definitely safe. Don't be high or fast on approach. Don't let the lack of a large airfield screw with you.

The 757 issue was handled and it was not the airport or airframe at fault.

Re: Postage stamp?

brew3departure said:

Realizing, too, that industry standard for reserve callout is 2 hours (at least, what some would call "short" call) -- I'm not taking a shot at AWA here, but isn't your reserve call out 90 minutes? Food for thought.
-brew3

Res callout is 2hrs for short call @AWA

WD.

ATA - Long call, Short Call reserves, etc.

ATA has three types of reserves.

"H" - One hour call out. This is used only for extreme measures, snow storms or other uncommon delays. The Company will also pay to put you up in a hotel if you are assigned Reserve H. I have never heard of anyone being assigned Reserve H.

"A" - Two hour call out. A line of Reserve A's equals 14 guaranteed days off.

"B" - 12 hour callout. You may sit at home for an assignment, as long as you can report within 12 hours. A line of reserve B's equals 12 guaranteed days off. It is possible to sit home many of these B days, depending on staffing and other factors.

Senior pilots that live in base sometimes bid Reserve lines because you fly less and can work the system to make a lot of OT while not increasing the number of days away.

ATA has a pay credit cap of 100 hours, before the cap and even before the substantial raise from our current contract I know of some pilots that made $200-$300K a year working the reserve system.

I'm amazed every time I come to work (here at ATA). It's not always perfect, but I have always been treated real well and enjoy every trip. The international flying is a blast - you will see places you have never dreamed of (although it was cold in Poland last week, it sure beat those high-speeds I was doing at my former RJ employer!!!). This is my fifth and hopefully last job in this industry and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back