ATA hopeful

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sadlmkr

I know I'm one of many, but I applied about a month ago. A friend who is pilot there took my app in with a letter. I wondered if it can take a long time or if you usually hear pretty quick if they would be interested in you...I was commuter, then Rich International. easy now, on the l-1011, then when they closed on to the non-scheds. Kallita, Polar. Only 2 years college and not any PIC jet. Any hope? I would appreciate any info or advice. Thanks

when I interviewed over a year ago there was one guy there that was an x-usair, coming from rich or arrow Dc8 Fo at the time. His last PIC was turboprop freight, no jet PIC. There's always hope. Did you get an application yet?

I have been waiting 6+ months for an interview invite (type rated on two out of three aircraft they operate plus the hours as well, plus lots of international) but I know I will not get called after this amount of time. I am unemployed and therefore not "competitive" and it matters not about previous experience and quals unless you can bring something to the table.

Keep in mind that in this kind of market, the published minimum requirements are not going to get you in the door. Indeed, it's the unpublished, additional requirements that are the key. Putting two and two together, you need to have lots of PIC turbine (jet preferred but turboprop will do though not score as much obviously); you need to be current and have a flying job so any long-term unemployed (more than 6 months), you might as well forget it. And last but not least, you need a recommendation from an employee pilot - one with whom you have flown and can attest to your flying skills. If you cannot answer yes to ALL of these, then in all honesty, do not expect that call.

Sorry to sound so negative but that is the "hidden" truth - I know because I can't get on - despite my quals and experience. I would be real interested to know if any pilot in a similar position even got invited to an interview with ATA. I'd be very surprised. Clearly, they cannot interview everyone - we all meet or exceed their basic requirements, so they have to use other "tools" to sort the wheat from the chaff and it's an employers' market still. They have been hiring seasoned captains with 10,000+ hours who are current and have plenty of PIC Turbine, all of it recent into the right seat. I'm OK with that, just wish I had known that a year ago (when I was current) so that I would not have "wasted" my energy on those questions, and getting all worked up about how my background and credentials would make an ideal fit when the reality was, and still is, you have no hope! Sad but true.

I hope this reality helps others - especially those hurt by furloughs and layoffs who have not had an equal opportunity in the job market through NO fault of their own. Personally, I think an unemployed or furloughed pilot has a much harder time convincing any company that he is worth looking at let alone hiring. Just my two cents worth based on personal experiences. Knowing my luck, I will probably end up flying the exact same aircraft but with either a second-rate airline or have to go overseas where PIC Turbine and LORs, and even recency, are not major prerequisites. Market forces, I guess...again......

b757driver, my ATA experience mirrors yours. A year-and-a-half ago I sent in several resumes. The resumes I sent them did not break out PIC turbine in a separate category (I have 1,000). I promptly received an app., filled it out duitifully (of course on the app. they do break out turbine PIC in a separate category), and never heard from them. I know there are plenty of more competitive candidates that have recent PIC in an RJ or turboprop and as you say you're probably out of luck if you don't, no matter how much Part 121 heavy jet SIC time you have.

Last edited:
Something I have heard from the guy who does the initial screening of the apps.......this told to me when there fewer (though still many) apps on file...

"I flip through them quickly, and I know in a matter of seconds if I want to look further, then they go into another pile where they get a slightly longer look. " Only after several of these filters do they actually get thoroughly read. He said you would be astounded how many of the apps have some basic details disqualify them, like sloppy handwriting, basic presentation, etc. (not alluding to you of course, just passing along for general benefit).

What they look for in answer to the essay questions also is much more subjective than total time and experience. They state repeatedly that experience is a commodity now, and they have always looked for other factors (creative problem solving, ability to get along with others and work toward positive outcomes, ability to do honest self assessments and figure out improvement)...

Hope this helps all hopefuls.

b757driver said:
I am unemployed and therefore not "competitive" and it matters not about previous experience and quals unless you can bring something to the table.

Not necessarily true...
I have a good friend who was furloughed from TWA a year and a half ago. He has not had a flying job since and got his currency before the interview in a piston single. He got hired and is in the pool waiting on a class date. What matters are the answers to the essay questions. Take your time because they carry alot of weight when it comes to an interview invite.

Mach Zero
MDW B 737 F/O

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back