ATA Health?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here today, gone to Maui.

All Southwest ever wanted was the gates....and the city and the courts gave their blessing, duh. The city of Chicago and the BK process could care less about labor....it's played out all the time, not only with airlines.

they weren't going to pass up a very inexpensive opportunity to completely dominate an airport. everybody in their way is just biding time.

Good luck to all former and soon to be former ATA employees.

The plan for the Airtran deal as told to our union was that ATA would have been down to 400-450 pilots by summer. I would have been gone. ATA was also to retreat/retrench into IND, where, I'm sure, would have resulted in our liquidation by now.

GM was the principle reason why we're in BK today. We could have declared 10 months sooner and been better off, however, he refused to relinquish his control. He fired JT, but didn't change the business plan. What good did that do?

This is not a slame on AirTran by any means but if the AirTran deal would have taken place last year ATA would not have made it past last Spring.

If SWA only wanted the gates we would not have made it through the summer. ATA only survives today because we have dedicated hard working employees that has made this airline an airline that can add worth to SWA and ultimately provide a cash stream to their bottom line. ATA will provide international feed to SWA quicker and cheaper than if they developed it on their own.

Was this SWA's original intention last winter? I don't believe it was, I believe what they originally said was the truth, they were originally only interested in keeping AirTran out of MDW. By working closely with ATA and having their man John Denison on property at ATA this new arrangement is morphing into a long term agreement that will ultimately be good for SWA and then of course for ATA employees ultimately.

I believe that, at least from a pilot's perspective, the pilot's of ATA and SWA will play well together and put aside petty issues for the common good of both companies.

atafan said:
This is not a slame on AirTran by any means but if the AirTran deal would have taken place last year ATA would not have made it past last Spring.

If SWA only wanted the gates we would not have made it through the summer. ATA only survives today because we have dedicated hard working employees that has made this airline an airline that can add worth to SWA and ultimately provide a cash stream to their bottom line. ATA will provide international feed to SWA quicker and cheaper than if they developed it on their own.

Was this SWA's original intention last winter? I don't believe it was, I believe what they originally said was the truth, they were originally only interested in keeping AirTran out of MDW. By working closely with ATA and having their man John Denison on property at ATA this new arrangement is morphing into a long term agreement that will ultimately be good for SWA and then of course for ATA employees ultimately.

I believe that, at least from a pilot's perspective, the pilot's of ATA and SWA will play well together and put aside petty issues for the common good of both companies.
For your sake, I hope you are right.....but it sounds like too much turkey yesterday went to your head. Good luck.

atafan said:

Or.....................Maybe this has been a year long interview process with ATA and WN doesn't like what they see.......................

Or.....................Maybe this has been a year long interview process with ATA and WN doesn't like what they see.......................

I think you are right, it has been a long interview with SWA.

The word I'm getting is that The codeshare has been renewed and enhanced. I guess the interview is not going badly.

IMHO

tzskipper said:

After reading the article, I came to the conclusion (surprise) that I was right. Matlin did, in fact get their pee-pee slapped. They had to pony up a much higher percentage of the stock to the creditors than they originally were going to, the actual amount is still secret.

I think this does make it look like SWA is going to get the gates though.

What's the latest, guys? I have to believe that the HQ of ATA is going to move from Indy, now that ATA has zero scheduled flying from Indy. Or is that just wrong?

radarlove said:
After reading the article, I came to the conclusion (surprise) that I was right. Matlin did, in fact get their pee-pee slapped. They had to pony up a much higher percentage of the stock to the creditors than they originally were going to, the actual amount is still secret.

I think this does make it look like SWA is going to get the gates though.

ATA Update.

Enhanced codeshare with SWA was signed and extended for 7 years. Unsecured creditors have bought off on the MP/SWA deal, plan to be submitted to Bankruptcy court this week on the 6th. Expect to hear new cities announced with codeshare soon.

The plan as I am told is that ATA will become the international airline for SWA, ATA has exclusive rights to codeshare with SWA. SWA will begin local advertising for ATA routes and include ATA logo and advertising on the SWA website highlighting the ATA routes.

This week should supply new information.

Last edited:
This is great news for all my ATA buds. I wish all of you the best of luck for this new year! I miss flying with you guys. Truly, a great bunch of professionals! I hope this works out! :D

Latest resources

Back