Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATA Airlines Announces Suspension of Service to/from Denver, Indianapolis and San Jua

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

It's a damn shame that the AWA / ATA deal didn't go through.

Then USAir could've gone on it's merry way to the graveyard, and AWA would still be a happy place.

Doug Parker,

Thanks for the support!!! At least someone thinks ATA has something to offer. They pilots at ATA are some of the best I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Displaced, Replaced and now soon to be furloughed

Just my humble opinion but I think the AWA/ATA combination could have been a GREAT MIX. I was really looking forward to that.

All the best to the folks at ATA.

As far as this announcement, SWA certainly is showing their hand. They used the "code share" to basically slowly take over what ATA had and are doing an end run around the antitrust regulations. It is akin to UAL telling AMR where and when they can fly out of ORD.

A350

A350 said:
They used the "code share" to basically slowly take over what ATA had and are doing an end run around the antitrust regulations.

More likley, they are doing an end run around Daley. I doubt the Fed would have had any problems with SWA taking over ATA.

Hey guys,

It is what it is. You can't blame SWA for being smart. Yes, it would have been nice to see an ATA/AWA merger but that didn't and isn't going to happen. If fuel prices hadn't gone from $ 1.10 to around $ 2.10 we wouldn't be having this discussion. Also, I would think again before blaming other airlines for the destruction of ATA. There are alot of reasons this is happening. If SWA had not stepped in, ATA would be gone already. If you care to do any research on SWA, you will note that every dirty trick in the book was used to try and put them out of business. They seem to have built a better mouse trap.

Just my two cents (IMHFO)

Last edited:
It is correct, that SWA has a great mousetrap, however, having said that, I am not sure, that they wants to be seen as engaging in dirty "politics".

Part of the reason SWA ended up with ATA was due to demands from Mayor Daley, those demands included no or minor joblosses at MDW. Now why he was making demands I do not know, I think he held a bit of power over the gates. Well, it seems that SWA is slowly dismantling ATA, which of course causes job losses.

IIRC, I think SWA is retrofitting the fleet with overwater equipment, I believe I read that here or somewehere else. If that is indeed the case, then I would not be surprised if SJU appears on the SWA routemap. I am sure someone at SWA would have an idea on this and whether or not they are pursuing ETOPS, in which case Hawaii disappears.

The only thing ATA has, that SWA cannot easily aquire is the heavy lift for the AMC charters or the slots/gates at LGA. The AMC charters are supposedly profitable and probably will be so, untill the conflict in Iraq is over, although, they could probably sell/ transfer/subcontract those to say World.

The slots at LGA might be a bigger problem, since they belong to ATA. If ATA ceases to be, the slots will revert, if I am not mistaken, to the Port Authority.
If that is indeed the case, then based upon the passenger loads on Song and jetBlue to FL, a market SWA serves, I am sure SWA would very much like to get into LGA. Further, I have little doubt, that the current route, MDW-LGA as served by ATA does reasonably well. Islip is a poor substitute for the business traveller.

At the same time, SWA is fighting the Wright Amendment. They may end up being successful, but at the same time, they are probably counting on a bit of "SWA:The peoples airline". Well, you might just inflame a few politicians to blustering rhetoric, if the true nature of SWA dealings with ATA sees the light of day.

Of a more personal nature, due to the fact that I have a couple of friends at ATA, I am saddened, that so very few ATA pilots have managed to get on with SWA. Considering that many fly the same airplanes and the same passengers, why SWA have allowed so few a job, for some reason, that just doesn't sit right with me.

Well, there is my three cents:)

Last edited:
Less than 10 furloughed ATA pilots, of the 50-60 that were qualified, were hired as a result of the preferential interview that expired in April. About 5 have been hired outside of this opportunity. The hiring rate for those that have interviewed at SWA in the last year has been less than one in five.

ETOPS is NOT easily obtained, nor is international operations outside of tourist destinations if a given airline has never done so. North Atlantic Ops. is pretty damn hard to get as well.

The only thing that is keeping ATA's doors open is somewhere, someone sees an opportunity. We do not service enough cities domestically to stay in business. It appears from our BK filings this week that cash will actually be increasing over the next month. BK filings also show that a B767-300 should be showing up soon. This could be good news if we can secure more of them.

We all knew that DEN was going away, once SWA moved in. Loads were too good, and most were codeshares. DEN-PHX was successful the first week. IND had been dead for over a year. No suprise there. SJU is a surprise. SWA must planning on going in soon. They have overwater equiped aircraft already.

We have approx. 850 active pilots on the list. Down from 1100. Another 100-200 to be furloughed beginning in Jan. (100 confirmed with the likelihood of more coming)

We've heard that there is more news coming in the next week. Stay tuned. Just remember, it's A-T-A not A-T-who?

Southwest is not to blame. We are not going to sit back and watch someone else make a move (Ie..AirTran..JetBlue).

I happen to think its a pretty sad turn of events at ATA, a bunch of great folks there... Now, I know none of you will believe me since I work for SWA and "I'm on top of the world", "the big fish", "the 800 pound gorilla" and "I'm arrogant"... But I believe SWA believed in the CODE SHARE, which was/is a business relationship. I guess the game plan changed along the way, be it NWA, Fuel prices or Us....who knows.

ATA was not able to recover, hold up their share of the code share, again who knows? So SWA has made some moves...we are going into Denver.....thats all I have heard so far? We are not going into any other city announced? no. (will we? who knows). Will every furloughed pilot from ATA get a job with SWA? Probably not... Will every furloughed ATA pilot get a job with AWA or Air Tran probably not.

We don't have life rafts....only the vests.

Latest resources

Back