Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATA Airlines Announces Suspension of Service to/from Denver, Indianapolis and San Jua

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wesb737fo said:
If SWA had not stepped in, ATA would be gone already. (IMHFO)

Who the hell do you think made the merger not happen???......If SWA had not stepped in, ATA would be merging with AWA....not dying a slow death.

I don't believe anyone at SWA, managment wise, gives a dman about ATA. We are/were the sacrificial lamb to keep Airtran (or anyone else) out of MDW. There may be a few in the upper echelons that see potential in aligning themselves with a turnkey global operator, but that requires "coloring outside the box." Too bad. With SWAPA's merger policy, there could have been some senior (or maybe junior) crews taking a B737 to KEF or doing BUD-KWI turns on the L10 or B757. Pretty barmaids in BUD I hear.

ATA/AWA could have worked. However, I don't believe Parker wanted the B737 leases/airplanes, since AWA was phasing theirs out. I've heard that this was the first domino to fall, resulting in the whole deal falling through.

All of this is conjecture. SWA has many irons in the fire. Playing several hands with all the cards close to the chest. They've always played that way. LAX and PHL ops., WA repeal fight, BFI plan, MDW growth, now DEN. Who knows what's in store with GK driving. :nuts:

SWA/FO said:
We don't have life rafts....only the vests.

Rafts fit in the overheads.

Other equipment can be stowed elsewhere.

HalinTexas said:
Less than 10 furloughed ATA pilots, of the 50-60 that were qualified, were hired as a result of the preferential interview that expired in April. About 5 have been hired outside of this opportunity. The hiring rate for those that have interviewed at SWA in the last year has been less than one in five.

We all knew that DEN was going away, once SWA moved in. Loads were too good, and most were codeshares. DEN-PHX was successful the first week. IND had been dead for over a year. No suprise there. SJU is a surprise. SWA must planning on going in soon. They have overwater equiped aircraft already.

We have approx. 850 active pilots on the list. Down from 1100. Another 100-200 to be furloughed beginning in Jan. (100 confirmed with the likelihood of more coming)

We've heard that there is more news coming in the next week. Stay tuned. Just remember, it's A-T-A not A-T-who?

I am surprised and truly saddened by the news about ATA's further shrinkage. The interview statistics are shocking. I hope the 767 deal goes thru. Focus on international or military charter would really help right now.

I don't think SWA has a say in where ATA flies. I don't think the companies are that closely linked. That is why, I'm assuming, SWA feels free to encroach on ATA's profitable routes.

Last edited:
I don't think SWA has a say in where ATA flies. I don't think the companies are that closely linked.

I disagree, but I have no evidence other than coincidence and correlation.

2 + 2 still equals 4 at ATA.

But don't ask them anything about 10. They will lose it! :D

Hal,

I agree with most of your observations. I don't know about the interview stats because I haven't taken the time to add them up.

Rudderdog, do you actually think SWA would let AirTran or AWA get those gates. I suppose my post wasn't entirely clear, however, I will say again, you can't blame SWA for being smart. I can't blame you for being angry, but, at this point, you take the cards you are dealt and make your best hand. My guess is I will be gone before you.

best of luck to all

I see what you're saying about SWA being smart. How true and who can blame them. I was just stating the fact that the AWA deal was so close to being done and SWA scuttled it. When it comes right down to it, it was their fault. Btw, I'm gone already, having more fun than ever.

HalinTexas said:
I don't believe anyone at SWA, managment wise, gives a dman about ATA. We are/were the sacrificial lamb to keep Airtran (or anyone else) out of MDW. There may be a few in the upper echelons that see potential in aligning themselves with a turnkey global operator, but that requires "coloring outside the box." Too bad. With SWAPA's merger policy, there could have been some senior (or maybe junior) crews taking a B737 to KEF or doing BUD-KWI turns on the L10 or B757. Pretty barmaids in BUD I hear.

:nuts:

Of course noone in management gives a $hit about ATA. They are the sacrificial lamb to keep the competition out. I realize business is business. If ATA management didn't screw up.....SWA would never have had the opportunity to do all this. The thing that pisses me off is all the kool-aid drinkers at SWA that think their airline is all FUKIN KUMBAYA and crap! WAKE UP AND SMELL THE JET-A PEOPLE! If SWA was all rosey and friendly, they would have hired more ATA guys/gals and the preferential interviews would have continued. They also would have at least given the qualified C8 pilots a pref. interview before all of them went out and spent $8000 on a type only to get rejected later.

Now excuse me....I have to go take my blood pressure meds now.

ATA pulling out of Denver sucks - I always enjoyed commuting on them when one of our own flights wasn't for another couple of hours. They have always been tremendously kind and professional to me.

Hey Mega...I wish you'd taken your meds before you made your post... perhaps now that your medicated, you can explain to everyone why SWA OWES you a job, or even a preferential interview above say, a Military pilot, whose last 7 years have been spent inhaling sand & enjoying the dry heat, Or a US Air guy, who, after 10 years of gringing it out on the line watched his future being pee'd away by management. Perhaps you feel you should be in front of a commuter or freight guy, who fly barely legal schedules and crap equipment with the hopes of moving on...
SW management is responsible ONLY to SW Employees, sorry if you are working at an airline that couldn't turn a profit, but stop whining that it's someone elses management group that hosed you guys. Face it, you needed a merger, buyout or some other white knight to come along and save your company, because it wasn't going to make it on its own... Sorry SW didn't hire many ATA people, but the codeshare and cash infusion from SW kept YOUR paycheck coming for much longer than would have happened if you'd had to stand alone. Your attitude reminds me of a hitchhiker I picked up a long time ago in west Texas... hotter than H#ll, but the guy starts griping that my A/C isnt working.
Pilots were interviewed without having to buy a type... in fact, the standard MO for a guy without a type is that he/she is hired, then given 6 mo's to get the type... Or were you talking about the ALREADY typed 737 guys at ATA... Hmmm, yea, I'd bet ATA paid for those types, during upgrade.
As far as preferential interviews, seems pretty charitable by SW... they didn't do it for WestPac guys when SW got 4 of their airplanes.
Lastly, I'm tired of the attitude that you presented that someone OWES you something. SWA IS a kumbaya company because it's lead by the very best management team in the business, and takes care of their employees, but thats where the responsibility stops. Evidently, You want to work there too, or you wouldn't be so pissed... but if you want to go to work for a charity, perhaps the Red Cross is hiring. Don't blame SW because you didn't get a share of the pie that they work very hard to get. The really good news is I'm fairly certain that SW didn't come out and put a padlock on your mailbox. Your free to go to work for anyone thats hiring (and that will hire you), or are you mad at FedEx, UPS, and everyone else that didn't give you a preferential interview.
I've met a lot of ATA guys, and they are a fine group, really excellent... I hope you attitude is pretty isolated.
Best of luck to everyone,
Ed

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back