Astra SP vs Citation III

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've got some III time.

Pros: It's FAST. it'll run between .82 and .85 mach all day long. Slow to climb up but hauls ass once it's up there.

Good range, but coast to coast East to West won't happen.

Nice big cabin. The III probably will have an APU, but it's a crappy APU that you can ONLY use on the ground.

TONS of baggage space.

Cons: It's a BAD runway hog, especially high and hot. A 5,500 foot runway is going to limit you in the summertime. If you lose an engine, you'd better have an interstate in front of you.

Never flown an Astra, but when I researched it for a guy, I found that the Astra SPX beat the piss out of everything out there as far as overall performance, especially runway performance. The only thing that beat it is the Citation Excel. But like was previously said, the cabin is TINY.

Hope this helps.

Early s/n Citation III are "maintenance intensive". As far as bang for the buck, there is probably no better mid-size jet out there than the Astra SP.

LS

Thanks for all of the replies. I think we are going with the Astra. The boss loves the III's cabin but we think the maintenance factor and the added range is a big plus for the Astra. Besides, it is usually just him in the back and sometimes 1 or 2 others, so a smaller cabin is not too critical.

Ditchpilot, we had a WWI then a II. The II was a nice plane and a great "bang for the buck" but the resale for them is very weak.

Thanks for all of the replies. I think we are going with the Astra. The boss loves the III's cabin but we think the maintenance factor and the added range is a big plus for the Astra. Besides, it is usually just him in the back and sometimes 1 or 2 others, so a smaller cabin is not too critical.

Ditchpilot, we had a WWI then a II. The II was a nice plane and a great "bang for the buck" but the resale for them is very weak.

The Astra will suffer the same resale issues, but most who operate them like them. We have one based with us that operates 6-800 hours a year and runs like a Timex. There are several out there with an APU.

The Astra will suffer the same resale issues, but most who operate them like them. We have one based with us that operates 6-800 hours a year and runs like a Timex. There are several out there with an APU.
It's been a couple of years since I was involved in selling an Astra, but I've been involved to one degree or another with the selling and acquisition of several. It's tough in today's market for any airplane, but you'll have no problem with a clean, well maintained Astra. There will always be someone who appreciates the value and "bang for the buck" that they represent - especially in today's world of $$$ fuel. As a side note, I've never been around one (4,000 hours of Astra time) that didn't clear the owner a few dollars when it came time to sell. The biggest favor that you can do is get a good pre-purchase evaluation by some one who really knows the airplane. There are a few shops around the country that I would recommend. The best one would be Duncan Aviation in Lincoln NE.

LS

A couple of quick notes about the Astra SP vs the SPX/G100. Most SPX/G100s will have an APU which is very nice. Additionally, the SPX has more powerful engines which increases the performance considerably. It seems counterintuitive, but our G100 gets better fuel economy than our SPs as we are able to usually go right to the low 40s, burn less fuel and go faster. Finally, the Proline on the G100 is head and shoulders above the SP...no comparison.

That said, I am constantly impressed with the abilities of the Astra SP. We've had ours non-stop from SAV to PDX, SJC, SAN, LGB and BFI...ugh!

Latest resources

Back