• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astar Cargo Help PLEASE!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here is some more news to the ever growing question of why we are hiring so many. The MEC announced that Astar just purchased 4 more 727's. Two were on the property before and released with the intent to be flown by Capital. The other two are additions to the fleet. As I understand it none of these airplanes will be used to replace the Capital airplane on ILN-MIA, that airplane is coming out of heavy check and will replace them next bid. The company also purchased 873SJ one of our current DC8's. The union believes more announcements are coming of even more A/C.

??

Now, since yall weren't doing the Transcon before, (AStar was), I understand the part about there were some CBA issues that got modified, at least temporarily, but maybe I missed it. What again was the reason for 1224 getting a "temporary waiver" that reduced their contractual rest? That was so that yall, (1224/ABXAir) could gain......what?

Thanks

Questions for you Mr. AV8OR,

1) Did you park any A300's after your A/C was taken off the Transcon? I think not.
2) I suspect that the transcon A/C was placed on another city pair probably an ABX trip.
3) How many A/C did Astar park after the integration? I think we parked 20-25.
4) Should DHL be forced to fly one particular type of A/C on a trip sequence when it has another that is more economical?
5) Didn't you guys just vote in a "great new " CBA? If so why all the hostility toward us?

I think I know your position. You claim that we circumvented our CBA inorder to take flying from Astar. This just did not happen! As you probably know we are not in any mood to grant "favors" to a flight management group who continues to disregard our current CBA.

Thank you in advance for your answers. Just remember that we are not the enemy! As for Chabaka...if he is interested in a job at either ER or GB he is approaching it from the wrong direction. Stirring the pot with an ancient spoon of discontent serves no constuctive purpose. Perhaps we will see you on an ABX jumpseat soon where you are always welcome. We can continue our discussion there and perhaps we can agree that the two pilot groups are better as allies and not adversaries.

Good News

Here is some more news to the ever growing question of why we are hiring so many. The MEC announced that Astar just purchased 4 more 727's. Two were on the property before and released with the intent to be flown by Capital. The other two are additions to the fleet. As I understand it none of these airplanes will be used to replace the Capital airplane on ILN-MIA, that airplane is coming out of heavy check and will replace them next bid. The company also purchased 873SJ one of our current DC8's. The union believes more announcements are coming of even more A/C.

Congratulations on the new A/C! It is encouraging that there is apparent growth at Astar. Perhaps we are seeing why the Daz wanted to shore up a new CBA. Either way, it is good news for you guys and and I am happy for you and for the potential upgrades for your pilot group.

Now, since yall weren't doing the Transcon before, (AStar was), I understand the part about there were some CBA issues that got modified, at least temporarily, but maybe I missed it. What again was the reason for 1224 getting a "temporary waiver" that reduced their contractual rest? That was so that yall, (1224/ABXAir) could gain......what?

Thanks

Not real sure what bone you're trying to pick here plumber, or why. If you are trying to allege we altered OUR agreement with OUR management to obtain flying, well that's OUR privilege.

In any event, I seem to recall there was a thread on this subject when it happened. If a waiver was granted, it was because the union believed the waiver allowed compliance with the intent of the language (getting adequate rest) contained in the CBA. The disagreement, as I recall, was not over the rest time, it was over pay. I believe that has also been resolved. I'm not aware of any waiver at this time.

If your point is you are entitled to make whatever contractual agreement you wish with your management, then you are right. If you are trying to allege that we have made concessionary agreements with our management I think, in this case at least, you are wrong.

I think you boys and girls did the best you thought you could with your new CBA under the circumstances. 20/20 hindsight suggests you might have done better, in fact, it would appear JD bent you over a barrel and administered a through stroking. You didn't wait him out, he waited you out, then manuvered something onto the table you felt you couldn't refuse. So be it. Better luck next time.

Will we do any better? I don't know. Only time will tell. Our past history on the subject is mixed. We have been "handled" by management in the past.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new A/C! It is encouraging that there is apparent growth at Astar. Perhaps we are seeing why the Daz wanted to shore up a new CBA. Either way, it is good news for you guys and and I am happy for you and for the potential upgrades for your pilot group.

Clipper, those a/c are the ones that were being turned in. Except for the 8. Not sure why they went ahead and bought it, unless the lease was coming up and they were afraid they'd lose it, like they did 809. Two of the 727's were going to Capital, to be flown on routes that we had been doing. I think the classes are for the ones we were supposed to have before they decided they were going to let Capital have them. However, we do expect actual "additions" to the fleet before too much longer.

Where is your actual proof that this is happening? In black and white.. If so good for you! You know 873SJ was a piece of garbage when it flew for Southern Air and I am sure it has not gotten any better.. As I understand your post you are not adding anything, just holding on to what you already have, correct me if I am wrong here.. Please make me understand why you are buying outdated aircraft that always break and use gobs of fuel. I guess we will have to get those IDLE ABX aircraft up and running I see a lot of recoveries coming down the pipe....

I have a question. Why did none of your Airbuses make it on Friday? I heard they were CAT2... We had at least one runway CAT2 most of the night.

You know, it occurs to me that you folks from ABX are right; You do recover a huge bundle of flights for Astar. Dozens and dozens of recoveries for Astar every month.

At least you can admit it, that is the first step.

It really only makes sense when you think about it. Astar flies old planes that sometimes break down and need to get rescued so ABX gets the call.

So why is your management buying the garbage then?

Anyway, I guess the reason for ABX recovering Astar planes all the time is because they have so many extra idle airplanes that Astar does not have. The entire Astar fleet is busy hauling freight (when they're not broken) and there are no spare recovery planes just hanging around Wilmington looking for a place to go. ABX, on the other hand, has lots of planes sitting around ILN and CVG.

I have an idea, why don't you park some planes, let ABX fly the routes and then you can recover us since you think that the only reason you never recover us is because we recover ourselves.. Let's see how many trips you get in...

Hopefully, with the additional planes Astar's contract says they will be getting, Astar will be able to recover more of their own flights.

I can tell you from prior experience, 873SJ has been rode hard for many years and was garbage ten years ago... AS for the other 727'S you are keeping. Well.......

Better yet, maybe with the new fleet type Astar's contract has stipulated, they'll have better reliability and won't need to be rescued by ABX as often.

Where are you going to get these planes?

BTW, I would imagine that ABX planes break down sometimes, too; So how many of ABX's own planes does ABX recover every week?

Actually we rarely have a hard broke situation where we have to send out a recovery maybe twice month. We usually just reroute a plane already out in the system to drop in and pick up freight. All the frieght arrives on time... WHY DON'T you's guys do that?
'8

Where is your actual proof that this is happening? In black and white.. If so good for you! You know 873SJ was a piece of garbage when it flew for Southern Air and I am sure it has not gotten any better.. As I understand your post you are not adding anything, just holding on to what you already have, correct me if I am wrong here.. Please make me understand why you are buying outdated aircraft that always break and use gobs of fuel. I guess we will have to get those IDLE ABX aircraft up and running I see a lot of recoveries coming down the pipe....

We don't buy anything abxdx. We just fly them. You'll have to ask Dasburg why. 873 is a nice flying jet. It took our guys awhile to get it running right though. I'm not even going to bother responding to the rest. It's juvenile.

Look this thread is not for you. I can see that your angry and upset and I completely understand. These anger issues cannot be good for your health.
You have made your point that you do not like Astar WE GET IT. So move along and stop wasting our time with your junk. It just makes you look desperate. ABX isn't going anywhere so relax and try to regain some dignity.

Latest resources

Back