Aspen Approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4G5 said:
Speaking of FE. Look at the elevation at each of the ASE rwy, then look at the ARP and you tell me what the slope is?
It just happens to be 2%.;)

Gumby said:
Hey HMR! Howz dat 50 machine doing? Been out West to the Islands yet?
Hi Gumby! I have < 10hrs in the new machine and no trips scheduled for another 4+ weeks!!! The ProLine 21 is GREAT but I'm having trouble remembering what all the buttons do.:D

Make sure you call next time you're out my way. Fish tacos are on me!

Rick1128 said:
At my last recurrent at Tucson we did our high hot takeoffs out of ASE. It was quite interesting. We don't normally go there so we don't have the SAAR program and don't have any intension of getting it. But V1 cuts at ASE with the Lindz departure are quite enlightening. And YES you can make it if you use the performance charts properly.
What airplane were you training in?

At one of my Falcon 10 recurrents a few years back, the examiner was adamant that the airplane could legally fly the departure in IMC...just check out the charts, and you'll find that you can get light enough to make the gradient. My response was "What's my alternate?"

He says "what do you mean?"

I said, "Well, at that weight, I have enough fuel to go to DBL, turn around, and shoot the approach back into ASE with IFR reserves...what's my alternate?"

I really shouldn't do that before I get into the sim for my checkride ;)

Fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:

At one of my Falcon 10 recurrents a few years back, the examiner was adamant that the airplane could legally fly the departure in IMC...just check out the charts, and you'll find that you can get light enough to make the gradient. My response was "What's my alternate?"

I said, "Well, at that weight, I have enough fuel to go to DBL, turn around, and shoot the approach back into ASE with IFR reserves...what's my alternate?"

Fly safe!

David

The miss at ASE puts you on the approach for RIL.

MauleSkinner said:

Fly safe!

David

It was the 35. And surprisingly the departure course was better the hotter it was. We did it at 30F and 65F at 15000#. So you have several different alternates available to you.

gutshotdraw said:
The airport manager finally blinked. Paperwork has been signed and returned to FAA for final approval.

Beginning this winter, Netjets Gulfstream aircraft (not that G-200 thingy) will begin using a P-RNAV/VNAV approach to ASE that roughly follows the path of the Roaring Fork river. Minimums of about 600 AGL and 1 1/4 mile for G-IV, 500 and 1 mile for G-V. Although coded in everybody's database, it is a proprietary approach and will only be assigned to QS aircraft. It will be approved for night approaches too.

One word: Yikes!

Had given up - thought it would never happen!

gutshotdraw said:
The airport manager finally blinked. Paperwork has been signed and returned to FAA for final approval.

Just curious. Am I missing the sarcasm in your post? What does the airport manager have to do with the new approach for NJA???? No flame intended just trying to understand what you meant.

rice said:
Just curious. Am I missing the sarcasm in your post? What does the airport manager have to do with the new approach for NJA???? No flame intended just trying to understand what you meant.

I don't believe this affects the NJA side - just the NJI side. NJI pilots have been training (in the sim) the special proprietary ASE approach for a long time now - one that was developed specifically for the GIV and GV at great expense to NJI. If implemented, it would have allowed NJI Gulfstreams to get in under conditions that would keep others out. It required the approval of the ASE airport manager and the FAA before being implemented. For some political reasons that I don't completely understand (something possibly originating from the experimental microwave? approach they (ASE) invested lots of money in some time back) the airport manager didn't want anyone else's approach to be approved. Rumor had it recently that it might never get approved - hence my surprise and the news posted here (hopefully accurate news!)

Latest resources

Back