Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

asking to see the fight deck -- a thing of the past?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mcjohn said:
On the ground in Costa Rica Delta F/A got permission and let me go up in a 767. The F/O didn't seem to approve of my presence as he was digging through papers and checklists. The captain was nice and was cracking abnoxious jokes about how the plane flies itself so he doesn't really need to do anything. He seemed to really be on the F/O nerves. I asked how they got into flying and capt. answered but F/O just gave me a look that said "go away." So I went away. That was the first and probably the last time I'll do that.

Next time ask the Capt if you can sit in the F/O's seat for a bit...

I have only once since 9/11 and it wasn't a sub-sonic flight and it was *awesome* :)

cforst513 said:
hey all. in the next few weeks i'll be flying around a bit, in some RJ's and perhaps some 767's, 757's, and 737's. i am an aspiring pilot, and love to learn and see things up close, as many of you probably do as well. how would i be received if i asked to see the flight deck on any/all of these planes during the flight? when would be the best time to ask, and whom should i ask? I'm assuming that the overwhelming answer will be "kid, that's a thing of the past, 9/11 ruined it for everyone, just sit in your seat, read your SkyMall magazine, and enjoy your 3 oz. portion of pop on your 5 hour flight". to avoid being targeted as a potential terrorist, should i just not bother asking and just look at pics on jetphotos.net? have any of you recently gotten a peek at the cockpit post 9/11? is the best time pre-flight, mid-flight, or post-flight to ask?

I took the family from IAH-DIA to RNO last summer for a wedding in Lake Tahoe on UAL. On the stop in DIA, the wife went up to the Capt and asked if the boys could look around. They were 4 and 2 yrs old at the time. The UAL Capt was OUTSTANDING! He allowed the boys to sit in the left seat and even put his hat on. The wife took more pix then I can count. They loved it.

Of course, I was left in the back picking up all the kid stuff we HAD to take with us.

mcjohn said:
On the ground in Costa Rica Delta F/A got permission and let me go up in a 767. The F/O didn't seem to approve of my presence as he was digging through papers and checklists. The captain was nice and was cracking abnoxious jokes about how the plane flies itself so he doesn't really need to do anything. He seemed to really be on the F/O nerves. I asked how they got into flying and capt. answered but F/O just gave me a look that said "go away." So I went away. That was the first and probably the last time I'll do that.

What a douchebag

mcjohn said:

Don't be too quick to judge. Generally speaking the FO has a lot more to do between flights than the Captain. I know that I have completely ignored flightdeck visitors while my Captain chatted and drank his coffee, just because we were running a little behind and I wanted to be as quick as possible.

DrewBlows said:
Don't be too quick to judge. Generally speaking the FO has a lot more to do between flights than the Captain. I know that I have completely ignored flightdeck visitors while my Captain chatted and drank his coffee, just because we were running a little behind and I wanted to be as quick as possible.

So it was YOU?! Sorry 'bout that.

For real though - I felt like I might be affecting the safety of the flight so I bailed.

I've got to mention some of the stuff the capt said that had me cracking.
Besides talking about not having to do a d_mn thing to fly the plane because it's so automated he said he was forced into the job by the government:
He said he was drafted into Vietnam and somehow ended up landing jets on an aircraft carrier and next thing he knew he was flying for Delta.
It was about that time that the f/o gave me the look to split.

mattpilot said:
there are none.... Lufthansa still flies with an open flightdeck door last i heard. They did in 2002.

That's crazy. So what happens when a random lunatic decides to rush the cockpit with nothing more than a skinny flight attendant to stop him? I don't care how "civilized" Europeans think they are; there's no accounting for a dingbat.

Recently went to FL on JetBlue... while getting off at TPA flight crew had a couple of Pax up in the cockpit, was chatting with them, even saw someone sitting in the Capt. seat while his buddy took a picture. Inflight I would doubt...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back