Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

asking to see the fight deck -- a thing of the past?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, Jimmy, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Seriously, though . . . c'mon up! I'm kinda bummed that more don't.

I recently flew to Japan (AA 777-200ER), and was in the F/C cabin prior to departure. Took a few glances toward the cockpit, and the F/A asked if I wanted to go up there. Chatted with the pilots (very friendly) for a few minutes, then left to let them get back to their work. Fortunately, I had a couple of movie clips of hairy landings at the old Hong Kong airport on my laptop (Tai Kak?), and showed them to a couple of them on break (no, I didn't wake them up).

Been up to the flight deck many times both pre and post 9/11 but never on a US based carrier. Trans Atlantic flights mostly (747/777) and always about half way during the flight. I always ask a F/A first and only one so far has told me no right away, until I presented my business card and she 'phoned' the cockpit, then it was OK and if I remember correctly, that was pre 9/11.

Last time both myself and the wife went to the flight deck for a good 25 plus minutes chatting away ( she had never been there before ) - she loved it.

LoL.. thought the same thing... Some three letter acronym - either FBI or CIA or *shreik* FAA :D

What are the international regulations regarding cockpit visits? If you check out airliners.net, practically all of the in-flight cockpit shots are taken overseas.

there are none.... Lufthansa still flies with an open flightdeck door last i heard. They did in 2002.

But as soon as the destination or departure location is within the US, the flight becomes regulated by the FAA and the flightdeck door must be closed at all times(exceptions like coffee break or taking a #2 do exist, obviously).

On the ground in Costa Rica Delta F/A got permission and let me go up in a 767. The F/O didn't seem to approve of my presence as he was digging through papers and checklists. The captain was nice and was cracking abnoxious jokes about how the plane flies itself so he doesn't really need to do anything. He seemed to really be on the F/O nerves. I asked how they got into flying and capt. answered but F/O just gave me a look that said "go away." So I went away. That was the first and probably the last time I'll do that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back