• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Upgrade???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If they dont have enough qualified candidates, they WILL waive it.
They have had several new hires go from F/O to CPT on their second or third day of INDOC ! (as in basically hiring street captains). It has been 6-7 years ago, but it has happened.

As stated before. Only on the E120. Not the jet. And the people you speak of had a great deal more experience, freight, MIL and corp..., than the 200 TT pilots now. Big difference.

When they need pilots they will do this. As most of the pilots that they are hiring now have less than 500 ttl, you will be more than qualified. I echo all of the posts above. It is not a good situation here. It will get worse, in time it MAY get better. We are loosing on average a pilot a day. There are 30-40 guys waiting for classes at big D. The next group over there in April will be mostly ASA guys and that class is going to be around 25-30 pilots. Upgrades will be better than they are other places because even guys with 10-20 years here are jumping ship. I happen to be one of those.
My advice to anyone here is that you need to get out now. Anywhere is better than here. Those words were told to me by a guy that went to world after 18 years here. He is on reserve and being abused and he still likes it better than he did here. FWIW

If they dont have enough qualified candidates, they WILL waive it.
They have had several new hires go from F/O to CPT on their second or third day of INDOC ! (as in basically hiring street captains). It has been 6-7 years ago, but it has happened.

They cannot waive it because it is an ICAO requirement.

Here's one for the guys who have been at ASA a while. I'm thinking about coming there after getting out of the Army, I understand ASA is one of the more helo friendly regionals out there. I also understand that they have a 3,000 hour fixed wing upgrade requirement but that it's waiverable. My question is if the upgrade time drops to less than 3 years and I'm still short of the magic 3,000 hours, how likely are they to bypass me for upgrade? I just don't want to get stuck sitting right seat for ever because I didn't get enough Cessna time before coming to the airlines.

Also, has the movement that everyone has been talking about started yet or is the upgrade there still sitting at between 4 and 5 years?

Big Sky's hiring direct entry captains. Might give them a shout. Good luck.

ICAO can't be waived from what I remember. I had a NO ICAO flights on my ATP till I met the PIC requirement. Then I just went to the local FAA FSDO and had it removed when I met the requirement. Don't quote me on it though.....it's been awhile.

Remember, ASA seems to be shrinking a bit, or that seems to look like the plan. Atkin says he will transfer our aircraft to Skywest if we are even 1% more costly. ATR's will eventually leave. Attrition will cover the loss of aircraft over time, so don't go getting real excited about a quick upgrade at ASA. They can just shrink the airline and use attrition as an excuse.

So after all these post does anyone who flies for ASA have a current time frame for Capt. upgrades? Thanks.

Latest resources

Back