ASA Upgrade???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CH47Driver

Here's one for the guys who have been at ASA a while. I'm thinking about coming there after getting out of the Army, I understand ASA is one of the more helo friendly regionals out there. I also understand that they have a 3,000 hour fixed wing upgrade requirement but that it's waiverable. My question is if the upgrade time drops to less than 3 years and I'm still short of the magic 3,000 hours, how likely are they to bypass me for upgrade? I just don't want to get stuck sitting right seat for ever because I didn't get enough Cessna time before coming to the airlines.

Also, has the movement that everyone has been talking about started yet or is the upgrade there still sitting at between 4 and 5 years?

CH47Driver, yes, ASA is helo friendly. I had not heard the 3,000 hour requirement and thought it was 2,500 hours, or less. As far as upgrade times it is really hard to tell right now. Our management does not even seem to know what is going to happen to our crew leasing subsidiary of a holding company contracted out under another holding company which reports to SkyWest Board and who markets their services to Delta Air Lines. Allegedly our Vice Presidents are finding out about our benefits from Rampers who got the word from Delta. ASA could be going away. Not likely, but we really don't have a time horizon longer than the next bid period.

It was running at @ 5 years last December. Now its more like 4- 4 1/2 and dropping. There is a mass exodus going on right now that simply cant continue, so it will stablize again. Alot depends on when you were hired. There were no classes between 08-01 and 01-02, and then there were classes every month for two years, and then none for two years, and now running again. So once those two seniority numbers meet, the upgrade times will go from 4 years to 2 years by default if the exodus continues.

I also understand that they have a 3,000 hour fixed wing upgrade requirement but that it's waiverable. My question is if the upgrade time drops to less than 3 years and I'm still short of the magic 3,000 hours, how likely are they to bypass me for upgrade?

Well you are correct. 3000TT for upgrade. Only once to my knowledge have they ever waived this. On the E120 back in approx 1994-95. I doubt that they will waive it on the CL65. They would have to waive it for all pilots on the specific award at the time, not just for one pilot.

If you have the 1900 TT your info shows all you would have to do is fly 2 years approx. to put you over 3000TT.

Depends on the needs of the company

Helo friendly - very. Actually, right now if you can muster the breath to fog a mirror we'll take you. Upgrade - depends on the needs of the company. When they need captains, they adjust. A few years ago, so long as you met the requirements for an ATP, the company would apply a credit to the TT needed for upgrade, such as every hour with the company decreased the total needed for upgrade. For example, if the requirement was 2500 to upgrade, and you had 800 hours with the company, then the requirement for you to upgrade dropped to 1700TT. Of course it can't go below the ATP mins - but they'll make captains when they need them.

But - there is bad news here every day; it's utterly depressing to go to work now, or even to read the web-boards. Our parking lot is going away, our pass privileges are being degraded, our rampers are going away which will render us nothing more than a crew leasing company, our management isn't being told anything, so this all catches them by surprise, it's only a matter of time before our planes go away. We get slammed for being the worst or nearly worst in every category of DOT statistics, and our management can't fix it, and apparently isn't willing to take suggestions on how to fix it.

Try Comair or SkyWest.

Try to get on with the better regionals first then come to ASA. Based on what mgt is doing ASA may not be here for long. Upgrade is everything at this level.

Stay away, far away..... The most jr cptn on the last prelim award was hired ocotber 2002

So once those two seniority numbers meet, the upgrade times will go from 4 years to 2 years by default if the exodus continues.
True, from the prelim that just came out today it is only like 60-70 number from going under three years...

CH47 Driver,

Here are the requirements straight from the Contract. Note they are NOT waiving the 3000 Fixed Wing requirement. I advise going someplace else to count your helicopter time.

Chapter 24. G. 6. d.

Notice it sez 3000 "Fixed Wing time"

d. Bypass a first officer for upgrade to captain who does not meet the
following minimum requirements:
(1) ATP written passed;
(2) Current First Class Medical Certificate;
(3) 3,000 hours total fixed wing pilot time;
(4) 2,000 hours total fixed wing multi engine pilot time; and
(5) 500 hours as a pilot with the Company.
The Company may waive any of the above requirements for a given
period of time with notice to the MEC Chairman. Should any of the
requirements be waived for one pilot, they shall be waived uniformly
for all pilots during such period of time.​

If they dont have enough qualified candidates, they WILL waive it.
They have had several new hires go from F/O to CPT on their second or third day of INDOC ! (as in basically hiring street captains). It has been 6-7 years ago, but it has happened.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back