ASA - Upcoming Displacement - Idea

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

No Delay

I have an idea that could really help some guys in the upcoming displacement bid...

Put out a position notice for f/o (no captain positions). Allow senior captains to bid down to f/o. (a voluntary displacement).

I know a lot of captains, for whatever reason, would like to go back to f/o. Mostly scheduling issues - tired of reserve, wanting more days off, a commuting schedule, etc.

This could be a win-win-win solution. The company would save money by moving senior captains down to f/o which in turn keeps more junior captains.

The captains who want a better schedule and want to be f/o again would be happy.

The captains who are set to be displaced and actually want to stay captain would be happy.

I know the company is not in the business of making pilots happy...but it could be a money saver!

I emailed management and all the alpa guys. I got some positive responses from management. No responses from my alpa folks.

Any reason this is not a good idea?

I have an idea that could really help some guys in the upcoming displacement bid...

Put out a position notice for f/o (no captain positions). Allow senior captains to bid down to f/o. (a voluntary displacement).

I know a lot of captains, for whatever reason, would like to go back to f/o. Mostly scheduling issues - tired of reserve, wanting more days off, a commuting schedule, etc.

This could be a win-win-win solution. The company would save money by moving senior captains down to f/o which in turn keeps more junior captains.

The captains who want a better schedule and want to be f/o again would be happy.

The captains who are set to be displaced and actually want to stay captain would be happy.

I know the company is not in the business of making pilots happy...but it could be a money saver!

I emailed management and all the alpa guys. I got some positive responses from management. No responses from my alpa folks.

I hope all works out for you guys at ASA! I really do!!

This is an excellent idea. Good luck trying to get ALPA to respond.

That is a great idea. Based on my investigation so far, the company is willing to do this in some form. It is the MEC who will not get off their butts and make this happen. They believe that since they did not offer this action on the displacement one year ago (the one that got F'ed up), then it wouldn't be fair to promote it this time. I suppose this is logical in some galaxy far far away, but it doesn't make sense to me. Just because it was goofed up last time, doesn't mean we shouldn't do it this time. A letter of aggreement is all that needed to make this happen. The company is willing, the MEC is not willing to help. They keep blaming it on the company. The games of the MEC are getting tiresome. I think their play book is from 1962. They need to get their heads out their butts and join us in the 21st century...

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. What does anyone have to lose? Win-win-win all around. Who does the union represent again? Oh yes, its dues paying members...ME!

If the union leadership is not following the will of the members, they should no longer be the leaders. Replace them if needed.

The MEC is following the will of the members by enforcing the contract you voted yes to. It's not just the MEC being difficult. They are bound by the contract just like the company and can't just go around changing the rules without due process.
Next time, read, then vote.
PS: I voted no.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back