• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

ASA - Upcoming Displacement - Idea

No Delay

Total Time
4000+
I have an idea that could really help some guys in the upcoming displacement bid...

Put out a position notice for f/o (no captain positions). Allow senior captains to bid down to f/o. (a voluntary displacement).

I know a lot of captains, for whatever reason, would like to go back to f/o. Mostly scheduling issues - tired of reserve, wanting more days off, a commuting schedule, etc.

This could be a win-win-win solution. The company would save money by moving senior captains down to f/o which in turn keeps more junior captains.

The captains who want a better schedule and want to be f/o again would be happy.

The captains who are set to be displaced and actually want to stay captain would be happy.

I know the company is not in the business of making pilots happy...but it could be a money saver!

I emailed management and all the alpa guys. I got some positive responses from management. No responses from my alpa folks.

Any reason this is not a good idea?

acarpe3448

Total Time
I have an idea that could really help some guys in the upcoming displacement bid...

Put out a position notice for f/o (no captain positions). Allow senior captains to bid down to f/o. (a voluntary displacement).

I know a lot of captains, for whatever reason, would like to go back to f/o. Mostly scheduling issues - tired of reserve, wanting more days off, a commuting schedule, etc.

This could be a win-win-win solution. The company would save money by moving senior captains down to f/o which in turn keeps more junior captains.

The captains who want a better schedule and want to be f/o again would be happy.

The captains who are set to be displaced and actually want to stay captain would be happy.

I know the company is not in the business of making pilots happy...but it could be a money saver!

I emailed management and all the alpa guys. I got some positive responses from management. No responses from my alpa folks.

I hope all works out for you guys at ASA! I really do!!

FightingIrish

Total Time
Enough

This is an excellent idea. Good luck trying to get ALPA to respond.

S

sunlitpath

That is a great idea. Based on my investigation so far, the company is willing to do this in some form. It is the MEC who will not get off their butts and make this happen. They believe that since they did not offer this action on the displacement one year ago (the one that got F'ed up), then it wouldn't be fair to promote it this time. I suppose this is logical in some galaxy far far away, but it doesn't make sense to me. Just because it was goofed up last time, doesn't mean we shouldn't do it this time. A letter of aggreement is all that needed to make this happen. The company is willing, the MEC is not willing to help. They keep blaming it on the company. The games of the MEC are getting tiresome. I think their play book is from 1962. They need to get their heads out their butts and join us in the 21st century...

twott driver

Total Time
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. What does anyone have to lose? Win-win-win all around. Who does the union represent again? Oh yes, its dues paying members...ME!

maxcackel

Total Time
Excellent idea, why would the company or alpa object. It is a win win for everyone.

WMUSIGPI

The $100,000,000 Question
Total Time
5000+
If the union leadership is not following the will of the members, they should no longer be the leaders. Replace them if needed.

wms

billSquared
Total Time
The MEC is following the will of the members by enforcing the contract you voted yes to. It's not just the MEC being difficult. They are bound by the contract just like the company and can't just go around changing the rules without due process.
Next time, read, then vote.
PS: I voted no.

Last edited:

FightingIrish

Total Time
Enough
The MEC is following the will of the members by enforcing the contract you voted yes to. It's not just the MEC being difficult. They are bound by the contract just like the company and can't just go around changing the rules without due process.
Next time, read, then vote.
PS: I voted no.

The contract is living document. It can be modified. That is no excuse. It only takes a letter of agreement.

wms

billSquared
Total Time
Like I said, it takes due process. It's your contract, if you want an MOU to ammend it, it has to be taken to the MEC and then negotiated with the company. It's not done over coffee in the crewroom or on FI because a few people came up with an idea.

79%N1

Total Time
2 many
Call DN or NT directly and ask them, and then tell us what they say.

SLUF4

Total Time
This should have been done a few months ago-same with the early retirement program

FightingIrish

Total Time
Enough
Like I said, it takes due process. It's your contract, if you want an MOU to ammend it, it has to be taken to the MEC and then negotiated with the company. It's not done over coffee in the crewroom or on FI because a few people came up with an idea.

It has been taken to ALPA. It can be done fairly quickly. The excuses are getting old.

gator_hater

Total Time
enough
The more senior the capt the higher the ALPA dues...hence no action. I'll go for it but that would mean that we are responsible for our own situation and ALPA has no control.

79%N1

Total Time
2 many
BTW.

Isn't this what voluntary furloughs and COMA is for?

FishandFly

Total Time
little
Speaking of that, why didn't voluntary furloughs and coma come before furloughing the rest of the new FO's?

79%N1

Total Time
2 many
Scott H addressed that in a memo.