Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fsworld

Hello All,

I start training at ASA on Monday. Im just trying to figure some things out for planning purposes. Getting a bit nervous....

I know class is 9-5 mon-fri for the most part but any additional information on that? I know the entire training isnt 9-5. Also, what about weekends? Do most people stay and study in groups, go home, or what? What about these so called vacations while in training? Did they cut those? I know that once you get out of trainnig you get reserve for a month or so but whats a crappy line after that? Any examples?

Anything else would be helpful too!

Thanks,
Zach

the built in vacations do happen from time to time, depending on the training dept, and their availability to move people through. I have noticed this "vacation" gap for guys waiting for IOE after they have finished their training. Reserve can be longer than a month, it depends on the number of lines, all I can say is a line no matter how crappy it is, will never be as bad as reserve

fsworld said:
Hello All,

I start training at ASA on Monday. Im just trying to figure some things out for planning purposes. Getting a bit nervous....

I know class is 9-5 mon-fri for the most part but any additional information on that? I know the entire training isnt 9-5. Also, what about weekends? Do most people stay and study in groups, go home, or what? What about these so called vacations while in training? Did they cut those? I know that once you get out of trainnig you get reserve for a month or so but whats a crappy line after that? Any examples?

Anything else would be helpful too!

Thanks,
Zach

You have to know everything during training. Even the tire pressure on the landing gear. You better get cramming. Good Luck you'll definetly need it. Training is hell from what I've heard. You will have no life while in training.. morning, noon, evening, sleep STUDY STUDY STUDY

training is not easy, but if you can breathe they will get you through as long as you don't give the training dept. attitude.
cooperate, graduate, thats the best advice I can give on training

I think I speak for my entire ground school when I say training is a nightmare. Between the late night cocktail hours followed by 8 AM classes it's a wonder we made it. Indoc brutal... CRM even worse... systems... Don't get me started. If you think you'll be taking weekends off and vacations... You got another thing coming.

Just a note: we started with 24 only 9 made it to the line.

the "unofficial" ASA training guide is located in Spondivits accross the street, i think Ruby Tuesdays has an unofficial copy also. It is only available between 10pm and midnight. It is the only way to get through training. Ask the bartender for the ASA special, they all know about it.

depends on how much $$$ you have available. Some guys used the old ones they had from their GA days and others went to the flight station and dished out a few hundred bucks for a flight bag. A few other guys went to office depot and bought flight bags there, at more down to earth prices. Either way, have something, cause you will get loaded with manuals

Training is not that bad. Just study , dont get FUBAR every night. Do not show up at the paper tiger (cpt) without knowining the flows cold. U Do not have to memorize all those emergency action items anymore. But if you bust your ride they probably will tell you to come back in six months. We are doining good enough to waste $20,000 plus on your training and just get a new guy or gal to fill ur spot, , logical eh. Be nice to flight instructors most of them are super guys and gals and if you screw up take full responsibility, even if you are unlucky enough to draw the midnight to 4:00a.m sim sessions. Might want to spend 30 bucks on a office depot bag for training just in case.
Good luck , its not that bad of a place to work once u get here.
Congrats on making the initial cut. See ya on line.

Latest resources

Back