ASA to retire the ATR-72.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

boknowsASA

In a memo from SH the ATR will start being retired at 2 a month starting in July 08 and all will be gone by DEC 08. No announcement on what will replace it.

Let the Q-400 rumors begin!!!

Who saw some sitting in Hot springs? anyone?

what the hell am i gonna fly now

in all seriousness, are they serious this time...? can't be the first time they've "announced" something which they later let slowly fade..

Last edited:
With oil at $100/barrel, they would be foolish not to replace the ATRs with another turboprop. Personally I think the -500's would the obvious choice, but what do I know!

They will be replaced, just don't look for ASA to be the company that flies the replacement. Delta will remove the ATR's from ASA, and put out an RFP for the replacement aircraft. I'm sure ASA will be undercut for the flying. Remember, Skywest refuses to bid lower than the profit margin they want. Pinnacles and Mesa's will bid much lower to win flying.

Yep

I would expect another prop-they just are too fuel effecient on all these short routes. How else are you gonna get that many people there that fuel effeciently?

Does the new ATR-500's have an APU ? I've never flown on an ATR but I thought I remember someone telling me that even our ATR could have had APU's installed.

I agree I think Delta will put out a bid for new Prop flying when the ATR leave.

Skywest refuses to bid lower than the profit margin they want. Pinnacles and Mesa's will bid much lower to win flying.

Pinnacle has never bid for any flying at a loss to secure flying. Bedford and JO are famous for doing so, but Pinnacle never has. The flying they are doing for DAL in ATL is just barely over break-even, but it's not at a loss.

Latest resources

Back