ASA to furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wmuflyguy,

I'm CMR too, I was explaining how it works for us but wondering how ASA's system was different.

I've been on DAL jumpseats when an ACARS message comes in telling them to be overhead a specific point on the arrival at a certain time. Pretty cool.

ASA's system takes the data from the perf init page (aircraft weight), the winds, and ISA dev. and sends it to a magic computer in Phoenix. Then, we get a poof of pixie dust and out comes our speed to fly. It updates about every 10 minutes or so, more if we hit the update button.

What you saw on DAL is Atilla, which sequences the aircraft over the arrival fixes in ATL. The idea is to self-sequence so ATC doesn't have to. It's kinda worthless right now because only Delta uses it, but ASA is supposed to sign on later. I'm sure all the DCI carriers with ACARS will be using it sooner or later.

wmuflyguy,

I'm CMR too, I was explaining how it works for us but wondering how ASA's system was different.

I've been on DAL jumpseats when an ACARS message comes in telling them to be overhead a specific point on the arrival at a certain time. Pretty cool.

Oh, my bad.

I read it as you were ASA.

What is this magical "ACARS" you speak of? Sounds nice!

What you saw on DAL is Atilla, which sequences the aircraft over the arrival fixes in ATL. The idea is to self-sequence so ATC doesn't have to.

This is currently in use at SEA. If you are early, your almost NEVER late, you will get a 90 of course vector. They are real nazis about it.

Dick

The only problem is out cost index software seems to work backwards. It gives high speed with a tail wind and low speed with a headwind. 243 knots cruise speed flying HPN-ATL with a 120 knot headwind? Something doesn't seem right.

I've noticed that as well. In a headwind, by pulling the speed way back, you may get get paid an extra 10 minutes of block, but the fuel savings faaaar outweigh that.

The opposite is true in a tailwind. Your fuel burn will be less regardless of speed, so it is going for a further crew/other cost reduction in that case by getting you there earlier

Seems, totally backwards and of course I'm just guessing. RIF it and see what the response is! They know the answer.

I'm pretty sure it's not looking at on-time arrivals either so I guess get there OT because that's what's important as far as we've been told.

Last edited:
alright guys/gals I am all for saving $$$ and oil, but Delta gets that savings and ASA gets paid on performance. So what is better to be A-30 and save Delta 200# of fuel or be A-14 and hit our performance #'s? Keeping in mind we all get paid by the min. It is a tough call.

since making the above post I have been informed that fuel savings does in fact pay at asa. ASA gets 50% of all fuel savings and bills Delta for it.

since making the above post I have been informed that fuel savings does in fact pay at asa. ASA gets 50% of all fuel savings and bills Delta for it.

Where did you get this info Pharoh. Thanks, not that I don't believe you, I've never heard that before.

Trojan

alright guys/gals I am all for saving $$$ and oil, but Delta gets that savings and ASA gets paid on performance. So what is better to be A-30 and save Delta 200# of fuel or be A-14 and hit our performance #'s? Keeping in mind we all get paid by the min. It is a tough call.

It would be nice to get some more guidance on this.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back