• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA to furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All of this is FAA approved! You're not going to fall out of the sky.

Just like how we saw a change on V-Speeds and trim settings going from paper/whizwheel to the Aerodata system, things will change with this as well. I don't have a problem with people questioning this, but I think more often than not the answers to your questions will be, "this is the new, more accurate, way of doing things."

Recently we were holding at 270 and the CI hold speed was 191. Would you have held at 191 or at 250? It is just that 191 seems awfully slow.

The CI is correct on all speeds. The 250/70 limitation is for the climb profile only. We are the launch customer as stated above so there will be problems, but once your in cruise it's safe to do whatever the CI says.

In the 757 we hold well below 250. Basically Ref +100 is a good guess. The CRJ will not fall out of the sky below 250. It is generally your last white bug +10 KIAS or so for current weight. (Give or take) Trust the numbers, but always verify with published speeds.

Recently we were holding at 270 and the CI hold speed was 191. Would you have held at 191 or at 250? It is just that 191 seems awfully slow.

The holding speeds equate to basically the minimum drag speeds, and are safe. They are essentially the same as the driftdown speeds. (LDmax for those old flight instructors.)

The data behind the cost index speeds is sound, as long as you remember to put your zero fuel weight in the perf init page on the FMS.

The speeds are safe, especially since the cost index numbers are around 15 on the 200, and 24 on the 700. That means that the speeds it spits out are well above the min drag speeds, and way above the 1.3 Vs speeds.

If you follow the cost indexing to the letter, it is possible that you will burn easily within 100 lbs of planned burn. (That number may be off by as much as 500 due to the downwind on arrival, or the departure turn if leaving ATL.)

Starting today, all flights will have 500 contingency and/or a minimum reserve fuel of 1900 until any fuel/flight planning problems are worked out.

The important thing to remember about cost index is that it is saving OVERALL cost, including crew costs, etc. Those are included in the calculation, and as fuel drops in price, it is less of a consideration. The calculations start with cruise flight, and go back from there, so whatever climb speed you need to get to your cruise altitude at your planned mach, it will give you.

I think that DAL would disagree on who owns the gates. Now SKW has right of first refusal, but there are some mean restrictions to it. Call over to DAL's real estates department. I have, and seen how it is structured.

Yep-

They will also tell you what the board will vote on next week......

This sort of information is not exactly for public consumption-I'll be you would get absolutely nothing if you were to actually call.

But just trust this guy-he has the inside track, a good friend on the board, a guy-in-the-know, and he knows what happened to Jimmy Hoffa-just for grins!

If this CI works at ASA and they try to bring it over to Skywest, it will be FUN, FUN, FUN! We have these overly padded minimum speeds. Most people with any experience recognize this, but they have scared the hell out of the newbys.

They have these guys thinking that the RJ will fall out of the sky if they go below .70/.74 depending on the model.

I look forward to the training dept. explaining these slow speeds.

Yep-

They will also tell you what the board will vote on next week......

This sort of information is not exactly for public consumption-I'll be you would get absolutely nothing if you were to actually call.

But just trust this guy-he has the inside track, a good friend on the board, a guy-in-the-know, and he knows what happened to Jimmy Hoffa-just for grins!

Do you know? PM me I will tell you if you are wrong!
I think that you will be quite surprised.

CMR has been doing cost-index flying for a few years now. the speeds look really low at first, but you get used to it. for us, it seems like cruise speed often works out to 250 indicated, but i've seen it below 240.

the fun part is when you're flight planned at .65M headed to the northeast and halfway through the flight ATC wants .76M or better.

I think that DAL would disagree on who owns the gates. Now SKW has right of first refusal, but there are some mean restrictions to it. Call over to DAL's real estates department. I have, and seen how it is structured.

Yeah, I am sure that the folks at DAL's real estate department shared that information with you! Be sure and take your meds today!

Latest resources

Back