ASA to do a "redeye" yuck!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
regionalcap said:
Yes i know that. I was referreing to naps. Sorry for the miscommunication.

True. It's an illegal nap, but legal for B.S.O.C. flying.

Soverytired said:
Whaaa! Whaaa!

Mesa does a sh!t load of these things (surprise, surprise).

Basically, you start flying at 6pm, and fly a total of 4 legs until 0750 am. With a three-and-a-half hour "camping trip" in the back of the airplane in places like COS, SLC, EUG, MFR. Not too bad in the summer, but it gets mighty cold in the winter when the APU is busted. And OMFG, those lavs really start to stink after about 2.5 hrs on the ground.

Oh, and Edmonton. That one is really fun, because you can't sleep on the plane (have to go through Canadian customs), then wait 2 hours for U.S. Customs to open so you can get back to the plane. There's a nice observation lounge where you can push the chairs together and put a blanket over your head and it's like a little fort! Which is good, because if the airport cops see you, they'll chase you out (area for customers only).

Whee! We had so many complaints (from the TSA for non-SIDA badged personnel in a secure area i.e. us) and calls for fatigue (from us lazy crews), the company finally caved and got us a hotel room.

That is to say, ONE hotel room. For FOUR people. TO SHARE. I'm not kidding here, either. Complete strangers, mixed genders, and never closer than 30 minutes to the airport. For a 3.5 hr sit. Amazingly, since noone wanted to sleep with 3 strangers, these weren't used, and the company took that little "perk" away 2 weeks later.

So, uh, welcome to the future of the regional redeye. Mesa is once again leading the race (to the bottom).

Holy crap, that place is like a prison camp.

This does beg an interesting question:

HOW CAN A CONTRACT BE WRITTEN TO AVOID 4-leg night flying SCHEDULES LIKE MESA'S?

I've heard places like America West only allow one leg after a certain time (say, for the sake of argument, 0100 am). Then full rest (not reduced) is mandatory.

This would be fine with me, and cover the worst part of "camping trips" .. i.e. the flying very late/early, the "nap", then the brutal flying back in the morning.

HOW DOES YOUR CONTRACT PROTECT YOU FROM THIS CRAP?
(expecting the company to treat you like human beings doesen't count)

Just curious.

Basically, we have no protection. The company refuses to acknowledge that back-side-of-the-clock flying is dangerous.

You're dangerous.

Soverytired said:
...HOW CAN A CONTRACT BE WRITTEN TO AVOID 4-leg night flying SCHEDULES LIKE MESA'S?...
At QX we used to do CDO's (Continuous Duty Overnights) on a regular basis. They usually had a show at about 2100 or so, one or two leg(s) to the overnight, spend about 5 hours at a hotel (yes, 1 person per room), then one or two leg(s) back to base the next morning.
The guys seemed to love it, since the CDO lines always went really senior. Thus, I'm not sure they are such a bad thing. However, having to spend the "rest period" on the airplane or in the terminal is simply ridiculous. And 4 ppl per room is just sad...

SPDBRD747400 said:
Looks like ASA will have a redeye flight out of LAX to ZCL (Zacatecas, Mexico):

4305 0100 - 05:50 LAX-ZCL

4304 0900 - 10:10 ZCL-LAX

Wonder how they will treat this flight, will it be like a nap? Oh well, not a big fan of that kinda flying.

Wow, atleast we know you will NEVER apply to British Airways. Think of all of the allnight flights there flying back to LHR or LGW. Oh wait, you could always bid Europe on the A320.... Good choice if you don't like allnighters. Why don't you post an Easyjet A319 as your avatar?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Wow, atleast we know you will NEVER apply to British Airways. Think of all of the allnight flights there flying back to LHR or LGW. Oh wait, you could always bid Europe on the A320.... Good choice if you don't like allnighters. Why don't you post an Easyjet A319 as your avatar?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Maybe he likes the 747? Don't even TRY to replace a Boeing with a BUS:puke:!

Latest resources

Back