• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA to do a "redeye" yuck!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well people don't pay for comfort anymore. Just ask the flip-flop,backpacking crowd what they pay for. (to get off the bus)

Whaaa! Whaaa!

Mesa does a sh!t load of these things (surprise, surprise).

Basically, you start flying at 6pm, and fly a total of 4 legs until 0750 am. With a three-and-a-half hour "camping trip" in the back of the airplane in places like COS, SLC, EUG, MFR. Not too bad in the summer, but it gets mighty cold in the winter when the APU is busted. And OMFG, those lavs really start to stink after about 2.5 hrs on the ground.

Oh, and Edmonton. That one is really fun, because you can't sleep on the plane (have to go through Canadian customs), then wait 2 hours for U.S. Customs to open so you can get back to the plane. There's a nice observation lounge where you can push the chairs together and put a blanket over your head and it's like a little fort! Which is good, because if the airport cops see you, they'll chase you out (area for customers only).

Whee! We had so many complaints (from the TSA for non-SIDA badged personnel in a secure area i.e. us) and calls for fatigue (from us lazy crews), the company finally caved and got us a hotel room.

That is to say, ONE hotel room. For FOUR people. TO SHARE. I'm not kidding here, either. Complete strangers, mixed genders, and never closer than 30 minutes to the airport. For a 3.5 hr sit. Amazingly, since noone wanted to sleep with 3 strangers, these weren't used, and the company took that little "perk" away 2 weeks later.

So, uh, welcome to the future of the regional redeye. Mesa is once again leading the race (to the bottom).

Last edited:
Soverytired said:
Oh, and Edmonton. That one is really fun, because you can't sleep on the plane (have to go through Canadian customs), then wait 2 hours for U.S. Customs to open so you can get back to the plane. There's a nice observation lounge where you can push the chairs together and put a blanket over your head and it's like a little fort! Which is good, because if the airport cops see you, they'll chase you out (area for customers only).

You know, it's crap like this that makes this profession suck so bad. The airline business sucks... period.

Soverytired said:
Whaaa! Whaaa!

Basically, you start flying at 6pm, and fly a total of 4 legs until 0750 am. With a three-and-a-half hour "camping trip" in the back of the airplane in places like COS, SLC, EUG, MFR. Not too bad in the summer, but it gets mighty cold in the winter when the APU is busted. And OMFG, those lavs really start to stink after about 2.5 hrs on the ground.

Whee! We had so many complaints (from the TSA for non-SIDA badged personnel in a secure area i.e. us) and calls for fatigue (from us lazy crews), the company finally caved and got us a hotel room.

That is to say, ONE hotel room. For FOUR people. TO SHARE. I'm not kidding here, either. Complete strangers, mixed genders, and never closer than 30 minutes to the airport. For a 3.5 hr sit. Amazingly, since noone wanted to sleep with 3 strangers, these weren't used, and the company took that little "perk" away 2 weeks later.

So, uh, welcome to the future of the regional redeye. Mesa is once again leading the race (to the bottom).

Unreal. The first time that happens to me, I'm calling the FBI, DHS, TSA and the FAA. Not to mention the CDC, the ACLU and NAACP.

Soverytired said:
Whaaa! Whaaa!

This is because you guys cave in to a completely B.S. contract. You don't deserve to bitch because YOU voted in that crappy contract....

ReportCanoa said:
Unreal. The first time that happens to me, I'm calling the FBI, DHS, TSA and the FAA. Not to mention the CDC, the ACLU and NAACP.

Don't forget Jesse and Al............you gotta call dem.........

Soverytired said:
Whaaa! Whaaa!

Try calling in fatigued at the outstation. Do that for the 8 leg days and the 14.5 hour scheduled days they put you up to as well. Then things might change, until then you reap what you sew.

Be a professional and get treated like one. Fatigue is real, and the call should be made.

GreatView said:
This is because you guys cave in to a completely B.S. contract. You don't deserve to bitch because YOU voted in that crappy contract....

B.S. I sure as F didn't vote for that POS.

But I guarantee, our last neg committee wouldn't have thought of putting any protections in against this crap anyway. I mean, would anyone really believe that ANY airline would create schedules that are so inherently dangerous . . . not to mention unprofessional?

I've seen what crews look like when they stumble out of an airplane at 5 am looking for the nearest Starbucks after sleeping on the floor or across the aisle in our filthy airplanes. Unkempt, unironed, mussed hair, bloodshot eyes . . . not a pretty sight.

Soverytired said:
I've seen what crews look like when they stumble out of an airplane at 5 am looking for the nearest Starbucks after sleeping on the floor or across the aisle in our filthy airplanes. Unkempt, unironed, mussed hair, bloodshot eyes . . . not a pretty sight.

And then they get dogged by the mainline guys on Flightinfo for not looking professional enough.

Latest resources

Back