• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Tabular Test

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CFI2766: As far as I know, the early September interviewees (like myself) were the last to get the basic aeronautical knowledge written.

-Brett

They're still doing the same aeronautical knowledge test as they've been doing for a long time, they've added the tabular test.

Speaking of, the difficult puzzle in this month's Sky Magazine is kicking my ass. Anybody figure it out?

Yup, 7 hours and 873 minutes after starting, but d(arn) you McFly, I finished it.

:nuts:

They're still doing the same aeronautical knowledge test as they've been doing for a long time, they've added the tabular test.

av8rbama are you sure its the same old knowledge test plus the new tabular? I heard the new test was a different 50 question aeronautical test. My source may have not been reputable. Help?

Fit Right In.....

They really need a test to see if you will eat your own puke and ask for seconds-they will then see that you will fit right in!

CFI2766: As far as I know, the early September interviewees (like myself) were the last to get the basic aeronautical knowledge written.

I'm in class now, everyone in my class got the 50 question ATP written style test at their interviews.

And WTF does this have to do with aviation anyhow? I'm an ASA captain, and would surely fail this test. I'm not a numbers person. Does this mean I should be fired?

Flying is, at it's core, an exercise in information management. The user interface to this information is the flight controls and instruments and the goal is to control the airplane...but it's all information management.

Very well respected studies have proven that applicants who do well on tabular speed tests will also do well in the sim and later in the airplane. Conversely, applicants who do poorly on these tests will need more help in the sim and more IOE.

The test is a way to weed out weak applicants.

This is probably important now that they're taking 300 hr applicants who have no actual instrument flying experience, no experience outside of training and little to no decision making experience.

And WTF does this have to do with aviation anyhow? I'm an ASA captain, and would surely fail this test. I'm not a numbers person. Does this mean I should be fired?
How's this test any different than playing Battleship?

When I interviewed the first question on ASA's evaluation was, "Is this candidate kind of pilot that I'd like to fly a month of four day trips with?" It seemed like a pretty good question to ask the interviewer, which back then was always a Captain not too far removed from line flying.

It worked well. The E120 was quite a rascal to train and fly. ASA overall had, and has, a good rep.

Last edited:
I'm in class now, everyone in my class got the 50 question ATP written style test at their interviews.

Flying is, at it's core, an exercise in information management. The user interface to this information is the flight controls and instruments and the goal is to control the airplane...but it's all information management.

Very well respected studies have proven that applicants who do well on tabular speed tests will also do well in the sim and later in the airplane. Conversely, applicants who do poorly on these tests will need more help in the sim and more IOE.

The test is a way to weed out weak applicants.

This is probably important now that they're taking 300 hr applicants who have no actual instrument flying experience, no experience outside of training and little to no decision making experience.

I agree. Personally, I thought the test was a joke. Someone not passing it may have some sort of learning or aptitude disability.

It seemed like a pretty good question to ask the interviewer

I think they are still evaluating applicants on their instrument flying skills/knowledge, personality type and demeanor.

They've just added a cognitive aptitude evaluation to the whole process.

I'm with 777forever on this...anyone who has made it to an airline interview ought to have no trouble with it. It's simply a test of one's innate cognitive ability.

I have a handy little tool I carry with me to handle the math portion of aviation. It's called an FO. Works well and is voice activated.

Latest resources

Back