• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA summer flying increase

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I'm not mistaken an ACARS message is a valid form of notification now. All they have to do is send you a message with "Crew Acknowledge Required."

I'm pretty sure Delta has it in their contract that they can only be officially notified of an extension in person. I've watched one guy escape down the jetway stairs and into the bowels of the airport before someone could show up to tell him.

I looked and didn't really find anything in the contract that references that. Anyone have a quote from the contract on this?

I looked and didn't really find anything in the contract that references that. Anyone have a quote from the contract on this?

ASA contract doesn't reference this. I was talking about the DAL contract. I think I read in a Tech Brief awhile back that ACARS notifications in flight are an "official" notification. Like I said, I may have dreamed that up-but for some reason it's in my head.

I seem to remember the ASA contract technically requiring you to check your mailbox for extension notices and such before leaving the airport. Is that still in the current contract?

The FOM does require this, it just does not say when during your trip you have to check it.

With that said, the leadership is smart enough to know they will get resistance on this. I am sure they have come up with a way to make sure we are notified when needed.

As much as I hate that people are on the street, this company has a duty and a right to make money and use the tools it has. We signed a contract, if you are legal, and they follow the contract, you have no choice unless you like to get in trouble and make reason for them to let you go.

It will suck, but I'd rather have this problem than not having a job.

Medeco

It appears that the contract does not specifically address notification methods in rescheduling. Only the FOM states, under pilot responsibilities, at dutyout a pilot must check his mailbox for any messages from scheduling, OCC, or the Chief Pilot. That is the only requirement in policy.

If they change that to electronic notification, there are some protocols that have to be followed first under 26.R.

Last edited:
They're still getting people via radio as well-be careful answering those calls from ops

They're still getting people via radio as well-be careful answering those calls from ops

Yes, and one pilot told me that on his last leg, they would not park him until he made a radio call to scheduling. That violates the spirit of sterile cockpit and good operating practices.

Just wondering--are they extending lately? I have not been extended for a while, and I thought that was what RR was for?

Yes, and one pilot told me that on his last leg, they would not park him until he made a radio call to scheduling. That violates the spirit of sterile cockpit and good operating practices.

Holding passengers hostage? It's amazing the dumb ideas that they come up with.

I say you just sit there, both engines running (you're parking at the bottom of D, right?), cashing in on the overblock.

I'm not sure if they're extending, but on sunday we had 0 reserves at least on 200 captain-things are better the last 2 days, though. I'd imagine there have a been a few extensions.

I'm not sure if they're extending, but on sunday we had 0 reserves at least on 200 captain-things are better the last 2 days, though. I'd imagine there have a been a few extensions.

You "imagine" there have been a few? There either have been or have not been. Did you have any dreams last night about extensions that you want to share with us?

Latest resources

Back