• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Staffing problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am sure it will get worse. We'll probably see more Premium Trips available, hoping that the pilot group bails out the company and their poor planning.

The poor reserves are going to take the brunt of it too. To get close to 90-hours on reserve, you are probably flying everyday you are available. Getting called in at 4am, and then at some point flip-flopping to a night schedule and vice versa. No wonder these guys are calling in fatigued.

I'd rather see the company run fat on pilots and sacrifice some $$$ for everybody's sanity.

I don't think it is poor planning. Look at how it's working, the expensive guys (senior) are flying 80 hours and the cheap guys, reserves, are flying 70-80 hours. They're keeping the costs down while maximizing the flying that the reserve guys are doing. It's more cost effective to do it that way than to run the expensive guys to 90+ hours and let the cheap guys sit at home. The balance is how many cancels do get with this, and so far, the answer is not too many. I'm sure there will be days where it's worse than others and they're forced to junior man, but that is still cheaper than paying the costs associated with bringing back furloughs. It also works because the expensive guys will need the extra dough, so they'll be happy to pick up the premium trips.

I think they should make reserve a cush assignment and let it go senior, you'll get more senior (ie expensive) guys sitting at home and let the new guys fly their a$$es off. End result, same thing (and morale is improved).

I am sure it will get worse. We'll probably see more Premium Trips available, hoping that the pilot group bails out the company and their poor planning.

The poor reserves are going to take the brunt of it too. To get close to 90-hours on reserve, you are probably flying everyday you are available. Getting called in at 4am, and then at some point flip-flopping to a night schedule and vice versa. No wonder these guys are calling in fatigued.

I'd rather see the company run fat on pilots and sacrifice some $$$ for everybody's sanity.

It was slightly tiring when I credited 94hrs(320 hrs TAFB) on reserve last August. But I think I completely forgot any bit or fatigue I thought I had when I saw that check on the 15th. I can afford a house with that kind of check consistently. If I'm going to credit 90+ on reserve consistently you can call me at 4am everyday. In fact, call me at 3am.......

I think they should make reserve a cush assignment and let it go senior, you'll get more senior (ie expensive) guys sitting at home and let the new guys fly their a$$es off. End result, same thing (and morale is improved).

We should have an inverse seniority bid 3 months out of the year!

I kid I kid! (Ducking for cover)

During our pilot shortage in 2006 most lines were three-days blocked in the 90's and mgmt said that was the most efficient way to schedule. There's a lot of flexibility to build the lines out and have better use of staffing.

During the pilot shortage a few years ago most lines were three-days blocked in the 90's and mgmt said that was the most efficient way to schedule. There's a lot of flexibility to build the lines out and have better use of staffing.

Was this before min day?

Yes, if only we could get rid of the min day, we'd have 3 days back!

Never mind the fact that for a 3 day to be productive, every day is over the min day already...

If we got rid of the duty rig only for Naps wouldn't that bring back 3 days? Seems to me since the company got rid of Naps due to them being too expensive the rise of the 4 day began.

If we got rid of the duty rig only for Naps wouldn't that bring back 3 days? Seems to me since the company got rid of Naps due to them being too expensive the rise of the 4 day began.

i know we now have about 30 nap lines on the 50 now... how many did we use to have? how far has it fallen?

The company would be building the current schedules regardless of what work rules we have or don't have. They are trying to spread out the flying over the lineholders, and 4 days are an excellent tool for that. They could build 3 days, but then 40% of the pilot group would be on reserve.

Remember that during contract negotiations, the company offered us the SkyWest duty rigs. We of course accepted. SkyWest has had rigs and naps for years, and yet you don't hear their side talk about how if they gave up rigs they'd get more naps.

Not to mention, the company has figured out how to build nap lines to guarantee or close to it. Duty rig or no duty rig, nap lines would pay the same amount.

This company is very good at planting seeds in pilots' heads about giving up contractual language in exchange for something, usually better schedules. The MEC has been very good in dismissing all calls for that sort of thing, mainly because it's ludicrous.

The solution to our problems is higher block hours, not concessions. With higher block hours, you'll see better schedules. I guarantee it.

Latest resources

Back