• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Staffed Adequately??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No you do not. You must be out for 3+ days. If you just have a 24 or 48 hour thing, then you DO NOT qualify.

Exactly. Make sure you are out for 3+ days if you call in sick. And by out, I mean unavailable, so even if you have a day off, be sure to call back "in" after 3 days, and put those dates on the FMLA paperwork. You don't have to miss 3 days of work, just be unavailable for 3 days. Like most bureaucracies, you have to make your situation fit into the system.

For those who can't get a doctor to sign, you need to get a doctor that understands the FAA and the medical regs.

Roger,

Nah, it's different. I had to start over with a new hire date, go back on probation, the whole nine yards. We play by some HR policy book that's available on ourasa. With no union over here, a lot of things are left to the company's interpretation.. not a great situation by any stretch.

You need to read and understand the FMLA law itself to see why doctors are not filling out FMLA paperwork. CFR 825.113 specifically says that certain conditions (the common cold, the flu, ear aches, upset stomach, etc.) do not meet the definition of "serious health condition." You also have to look at the definition of "continuing treatment" 825.115 were you will see that in most cases where we cannot fly i.e. cold, sinus infection, etc. (viral infections), bed rest, fluids and off the shelf meds are not continuing treatment.

The doctor has to certify on the FMLA paperwork that you meet the criteria of a serious illness and are receiving continuing treatment for said illness. If you do not meet those qualifiers and the doctor fills out the paperwork anyway they are abusing the FMLA system. My doctor will not fill out FMLA paperwork for this reason. The law is cut and dry. A lot of doctors abuse this unfortunately.

You need to read and understand the FMLA law itself to see why doctors are not filling out FMLA paperwork. CFR 825.113 specifically says that certain conditions (the common cold, the flu, ear aches, upset stomach, etc.) do not meet the definition of "serious health condition."
I believe the actual wording is "normally" do not meet. These rules are written for the average worker. The conditions mentioned can affect a pilot. For a pilot, some of the conditions listed can induce vertigo which is serious in my book. Go to your AME, and not your normal Doctor.
You also have to look at the definition of "continuing treatment" 825.115 were you will see that in most cases where we cannot fly i.e. cold, sinus infection, etc. (viral infections), bed rest, fluids and off the shelf meds are not continuing treatment.
The language also includes taking a prescribed course of medication as a "continuing" event. Most Doctors will prescribe antibiotics even with a viral infection to prevent a secondary bacterial infection. Antibiotics meet the standard for treatment of continuing nature. Don't make it too complicated. Go to your AME.

The doctor has to certify on the FMLA paperwork that you meet the criteria of a serious illness and are receiving continuing treatment for said illness. If you do not meet those qualifiers and the doctor fills out the paperwork anyway they are abusing the FMLA system. My doctor will not fill out FMLA paperwork for this reason. The law is cut and dry. A lot of doctors abuse this unfortunately.
The law is far from cut and dry. A "serious illness" is defined as any illness that would prevent you from performing the normal functions of your job. An ear infection or a sinus infection would be a "serious illness" for a pilot, but maybe not so for an office worker. "Continuous treatment" can be a regimen of taking prescribed medication. Again, go to your AME. I have never had any problem getting my AME to fill out the paperwork, or the acceptance of that paperwork.

If the Doctor you go to refuses to fill out the paperwork, find a new Doctor. An AME is the best solution.

For the month of March

Highest IAD based FO reserve credit: 55hrs
March Credit for the three TDY FOs in IAD today: 91,91 and 97 hrs

For the month of March

Highest IAD based FO reserve credit: 55hrs
March Credit for the three TDY FOs in IAD today: 91,91 and 97 hrs

Now why would you IAD RSVs fly so little and our ATL Based TDY'd guys fly so much there? I don't get the logic. I really don't.

Now why would you IAD RSVs fly so little and our ATL Based TDY'd guys fly so much there? I don't get the logic. I really don't.

I think they are skipping over IAD based FOs in the reserve list so they can utilize the TDYs more since they're already paying for a hotel for the TDYs. IAD reserves don't catch it unless we're sitting at the computer refreshing the reserve list all day.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back