• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Staffed Adequately??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey most companies give you about 20+ days of sick coverage. I have only missed 6 days in the last year.....guess what I have 6 occurrences! The occurrence policy needs to be trashed and a more mainstream sick policy NEEDS to be put in place. We dont even get close to the sick pay that most companies provide.

1 occurrence does not equal 1 day. Most of the time, 1 occurrence equals however many days your trip is, but it can be many more days than that. If you are sick for 2 weeks straight, that is one occurrence.

Of course, if you go to the doctor and get them to fill out FMLA paperwork, you don't get an occurrence for that absence.

If you have even one occurrence, it is either because you deserve it, or because you didn't take the proper action to not have one (FMLA).

You need to familiarize yourself with FMLA if you want to spout off a statement like that.

If you miss work because you are sick, you qualify for FMLA. Serious medical condition is one that prevents you from working, and as a pilot, almost anything qualifies. If you take a drug that makes it illegal for you to fly, you qualify.

I understand FMLA. I've used it numerous times to avoid occurrences.

Personally, I had to beg plead and whine with my Doc to sign even a string of a few days of FMLA leave, for my recurrent sinus flare-ups. I could *not* get him to authorize intermittent leave at all. He couldn't believe that a professional pilot would be penalized for a simple sick call, despite my attempts to explain that my *job* was on the line. It was one of those doc-in-a-box places though, so that may have been part of it.

I'm furloughed, so I have no need for finding a new guy now, but I would be trying to find a new Doc if I needed the FMLA at this point. Unfortunately, Doc shopping isn't cheap, even if it's just a copay.

Last edited:
Personally, I had to beg plead and whine with my Doc to sign even a string of a few days of FMLA leave, for my recurrent sinus flare-ups. I could *not* get him to authorize intermittent leave at all. He couldn't believe that a professional pilot would be penalized for a simple sick call, despite my attempts to explain that my *job* was on the line. It was one of those doc-in-a-box places though, so that may have been part of it.

I'm furloughed, so I have no need for finding a new guy now, but I would be trying to find a new Doc if I needed the FMLA at this point. Unfortunately, Doc shopping isn't cheap, even if it's just a copay.

I suggest you use your FAA doc. Most are familiar with the airlines and why you need the FMLA.

If you miss work because you are sick, you qualify for FMLA. Serious medical condition is one that prevents you from working, and as a pilot, almost anything qualifies. If you take a drug that makes it illegal for you to fly, you qualify.

I understand FMLA. I've used it numerous times to avoid occurrences.

No you do not. You must be out for 3+ days. If you just have a 24 or 48 hour thing, then you DO NOT qualify.

Been dealing with this a lot lately. You don't have to miss work for 3 + days, just unable to work. I was sick on my last day of work, and still got FMLA approved. Only missing 1 day of work...

I begin to wonder if a lot of it is up to doctor's interpretation: I've skyrocketed from a good employee to a level-3 warned employee on the brink of termination because of occurances racked up battling a lingering sinus infection. (granted, I ain't flying anymore.. riding out the furlough by turning wrenches at A-tech). My doc refuses to write out FMLA for less than two weeks' leave. I think it is time for a new doc.

I begin to wonder if a lot of it is up to doctor's interpretation: I've skyrocketed from a good employee to a level-3 warned employee on the brink of termination because of occurances racked up battling a lingering sinus infection. (granted, I ain't flying anymore.. riding out the furlough by turning wrenches at A-tech). My doc refuses to write out FMLA for less than two weeks' leave. I think it is time for a new doc.
There really is nothing to worry about. They can't fire you for calling in sick.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back