• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Sept line shuffle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reserve still sucks even if we'll only be flying 3-5 days a month. The problem is when you get called in for a trip you never know when you'll get released. I don't get called often but when I do it's time to pack for a six day trip even when you only get called for a MCN r/t.

I am starting my first month of reserve and have a few questions. How do they determine who they call first on the bucket list? I have looked at the contract, but I might as well be reading Russian. I have heard people talking about being able to guess with pretty good accuaracy whether they will be called or not. Any advice about the system would be great. Thanks

Yes the contract is fairly clear. Problem is that none of the scheduling clowns have a copy! If you don't keep a copy with you and know what it says, you are a sitting duck!

Nope, that can't do that. It's in the contract. Unless there is nobody that can take the whole trip.

I understand that but what will the whole trip look like? I keep hearing 55 to 75 hour lines. Will they be day lines with just a roundtrip or 2,3, and 4 days?

I am starting my first month of reserve and have a few questions. How do they determine who they call first on the bucket list? I have looked at the contract, but I might as well be reading Russian. I have heard people talking about being able to guess with pretty good accuaracy whether they will be called or not. Any advice about the system would be great. Thanks

Russian? It's not that unclear.

If you're not holding long call now I wouldn't plan on it in September. I'm near the top of about a 130 Capt's on the 200 and got noon short call in August. I was holding a line the previous 3 months.

I don't want to rain on anybodys parade but at this point if you're a junior Capt. or F/O just be happy to hold onto your seat. Sept isn't going to be fun and Jan will be worse.

I am one of the more senior long call captains and sitting reserve is no picnic. I get a lot of 3 and mostly 4 day trips and I usually get extended. Some months I fly more and others less but only once have I exceeded 75 hours.

Goat

Can we at least get the terms correct? I realize that I'm splitting hairs here, but a Reserve pilot does not get extended, a line holder does.

A Reserve pilot gets an additional assignment, thats just part of being on reserve, it sucks, I'm there with you, but it is what we chose to do for the type rating and pay increase.

Plain and simple, just use the correct term.

Medeco

Can we at least get the terms correct? I realize that I'm splitting hairs here, but a Reserve pilot does not get extended, a line holder does.

A Reserve pilot gets an additional assignment, thats just part of being on reserve, it sucks, I'm there with you, but it is what we chose to do for the type rating and pay increase.

Plain and simple, just use the correct term.

Medeco

When I get called in for a round trip, pack for two days, and after one leg, scheduling turns my round trip into a 4-day, what's that called?

-Brett

Last edited:
When I get called in for a round trip, pack for two days, and after one leg, scheduling turns my round trip into a 4-day, what's that called?

-Brett

Lineholder or reserve, I think "getting screwed" is appropriate for either. :D

Sniff, sniff...what's that smell? :laugh:

Latest resources

Back