• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Sept line shuffle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When I get called in for a round trip, pack for two days, and after one leg, scheduling turns my round trip into a 4-day, what's that called?

While I think Stifler nailed the definition I would hazard to say that it could also be called "the life of a reserve pilot".

Last edited:
When I get called in for a round trip, pack for two days, and after one leg, scheduling turns my round trip into a 4-day, what's that called?

-Brett

Brett,

That's really hard to do under the new reserve system. Either you are being illegally assigned in your bucket, or you just had some supreme bad luck by having nobody in the 1, 2, or 3 day bucket that would be able to do the trip. With this many people on reserve, I doubt it, but it could be possible under the right circumstances.

The whole being-called out for a round trip and having it turn into a six day happened all the time under the old contract, but on the new contract it shouldn't be.

And packing for 2 days when you have 4 days of availability, well, you only make that mistake once. :D

Brett,

That's really hard to do under the new reserve system. Either you are being illegally assigned in your bucket, or you just had some supreme bad luck by having nobody in the 1, 2, or 3 day bucket that would be able to do the trip. With this many people on reserve, I doubt it, but it could be possible under the right circumstances.

I've been told that once or twice. I'm sure a few on here that can vouch for that! :laugh:

The whole being-called out for a round trip and having it turn into a six day happened all the time under the old contract, but on the new contract it shouldn't be.

Needless to say, there are quite a few things that shouldn't happen but still do. I'll attribute some to scheduling adapting to the new contract but many are just blatant deviations. Getting called on an assignment 1hr 30min out is a great example.

And packing for 2 days when you have 4 days of availability, well, you only make that mistake once. :D

Word!

-Brett

Are you kidding me? WHATEVER!

Look, I prefaced it by saying i knew I was splitting hairs.

So, sorry I offended you for actually make a point that words and definitions actually mean something.

So next time you get screwed by the company because the contract says they MAY do so and so, but you think it means they WILL do so and so, then maybe you'll see my point a bit more clear and relevant.

Medeco

Medeco's terminolgy is correct. The point being, however, is that when you are called out for a trip on rsv you do not know when you are coming home. If you have rsv days left after the original assignment then often cs extends you.
Concerning the compensation side of it, a line holder may get awarded a low block line but with open time and over block and a larger per diem there ends up being a considerable difference at the end of the month.

Goat

Looks like 21 "fiddy" pilots are going in a COMA next month, 12 FOs and 9 CAs.

Wow didn't mean to start a pissing match when I posted this thread (although that seems to happen on everythread here no matter how innocent).

I have a feeling though come Sept, Oct, Nov when regular line holders are having a hard time breaking 80 hours due to many reasons (lack of open time due to fewer block hours overall and thinned out lines) and only having 12-15 days off, guys may start to take notice how little SCR guys are flying and a few may say: "I'd rather stay at home and have 18-25 days off and earn my garuantee than go bust my a$$ for 12 days off and 80 hours".

Most of the regular line holders now who have been holding a line for a while haven't worked under the new Sect 13 rules in the contract. Having now worked both, I gotta say life is so much better (at least how it was on reserve under the old rules). With the bucket system you can know pretty well when you a going to get called and if they do call you out of order, call em out on it and they will take you off the trip. I think the 10 months or so that I have been on reserve I've been short called (less than say 12 hours notice) for a trip mabye 3-5 times. Most of the time it seems that I get 2-3 days notice. Ready reserve, I'd say I only do once or twice a month and every time I've had it, I've known about it 3 days in advance 'cept once. I've very rarely also had another overnight tacked onto my original trip.

I know that no matter how good reserve is, holding a regular line is much better. I was only trying to say that come the fall, reserve may seem much more appealing to non-commuting line holders who work a regular line but can't make over 80 hours because of the thinned out lines and lack of open time.... if it comes to that.

...and Mesa sux

Last edited:
I've worked reserve under both contracts and I'll tell you what...It still sucks! But at least I have a job and I am thankful for that, I just wish this industry wasn't so damn volatile.

Latest resources

Back