ASA - Self Help / Grievance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

No Delay

Just looking for some feedback. Trying to figure out my next step or if I even have a next step. I tried to let the process work but I "feel" like my reps have represented the company better than they have represented me.

I had 21 hours of vacation. I dropped 15 hours worth and got docked 17 hours because of this MMG.

It was a nap line. Every trip that was dropped was "conflicting" - can't fly half a nap. My vacation started on Monday. A front end nap was dropped on Sunday. Also had a drop on the tail end. Flying both naps would force me to fly on my vacation - so in my eyes it is conflicting.

The company's argument is that if you check "drop conflicting trips" on your vacation bid - that it allows the company to prorate you pay (using the MMG). - where is that stated?

My argument is that is not what the contract says.

Section 4 (B.2.) - MMG
For purposes of prorating the minimum monthly guarantee, a pilot who is in training, on sick leave, on a leave of absence on a scheduled day off, on reimbursed Association leave or on vacation is not considered unavailable.

Therefore, MMG should not be used for vacation time off.

Section 13 F. 2. a.
2. Pilots with Vacation
5 a. A pilot whose schedule for the ensuing month conflicts with his vacation will
have each trip(s), or portion of a trip(s), that conflict with his vacation dropped into open time. If a pilot elects to drop non-conflicting portions of a conflicting trip(s) into open time pursuant to paragraph C.4.d. the non conflicting trip portions dropped will be treated as a voluntary schedule change in accordance with Section 4.C.

This states that non-conflicting portions of a trip you drop will be considered voluntary schedule change - tripping the MMG formula.

Every example in our contract calculates MMG for the non-conflicting portions. NOT the conflicting portions dropped.

The union's argument is that it was an understanding we had.

Well, when did we start operating on understandings instead of what the contract says. There is no MOU or LOA stating this "understanding".

I believe I operated and bid my schedule by what the contract says. To me, it is crystal clear. We were given 3 pages of examples to make sure we understood how and when this MMG would be used.

I didn't realize we some other understanding.

Just wondering what options I would have since I totally disagree with what the company has done and the union's explanation of it.

Thanks.

So you had half a nap that fell outside of your vacation and you elected to drop all conflicts outside of your vacation, but you still want to be paid for it?

Ask both the union and the company how your schedule would have looked if you had not chosen to drop all conflicting trips. Then ask what you would have to do in order to maintain guarantee. Even if you did not chose to drop ,it may trip the MMG calculation and you would have to pick up time in line completion bid. These are some of the intial thought that I have. It seems like a little gray area. I see what you are saying and I would file a grievance.

Here is the reason for their response. When you bid the nap line, you knew that they would have to drop the front end of the nap, therefore it will be treated as a non conflicting portion of a conflicting trip. In other words, assume it was a three day. If you check drop all non conflicting portions, the whole three day would be dropped. If you checked drop only conflicting portions, they would fly you up to the overnight flight the day before your vacation and you would get paid full guarantee.

Well the issue I am having is the contract says (along with all the examples they give) the non-conflicting portions will be treated as voluntary schedule change. How is the front half of a nap non-conflicting?

I could not fly the nap without it forcing me to fly on my vacation, therefore it is conflicting...and the MMG should not be used.

If able, please back up what you are saying with the contract. I can't find anything in the contract, MOU, or LOAs that says anything different.

Because you knew that it would be impossible to fly that portion of the trip, therefore it is voluntary. If you wanted the money, you should not bid a nap line. This was iterated Multiple times during the road shows. It was stated that you would get Screwed with a nap line and vacation.

You bid a line with a trip conflicting with your vacation. You checked the box to drop all conflicting trips. Your MMG was adjusted because you checked the box. What did you think was going to happen?

Had you not checked the box, the trip would have still been dropped, and your MMG would not have been adjusted. This is what I experienced at least 5 or 6 times. They have to drop it, and you should not check the box.

Here's your sign!

If it took you 5 or 6 times to uncover this on your own then I don't think I would be "Bill Engvaling" this guy (he's a terrible comic anyhow).

Last edited:
You bid a line with a trip conflicting with your vacation. You checked the box to drop all conflicting trips. Your MMG was adjusted because you checked the box. What did you think was going to happen?

Had you not checked the box, the trip would have still been dropped, and your MMG would not have been adjusted. This is what I experienced at least 5 or 6 times. They have to drop it, and you should not check the box.

Here's your sign!

Did he really "know" he was going to get a nap line when he "checked the box"? Here's YOUR sign!

Did he really "know" he was going to get a nap line when he "checked the box"? Here's YOUR sign!

Either way, odds are good he would not get guarantee, checking that box. There might be some lines which would add up to guarantee anyway, but most likely not since the blocks were so low.

This is a hard lesson to learn, which should've been better addressed in the examples, but I was so confused about it I took the time to ask a rep and avoided the grinner's advance.

Latest resources

Back