ASA Screw Scheduling

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SPDBRD747400 said:
Talk to the FO's in SLC, ask them how happy they are with Scheduling??? It seems all the FO's out here are getting extended ALL the time, even captains. It's the companies poor planning yet again.
ah ha! now you may be onto something here. PERCEPTION vs. REALITY.

Never had a problem with ASA scheduling. They have frustrated me a time or two over the years but they were within their rights. Loosing the two days off after three naps grievence, now that is a frustration. Loosing that grievance blows my mind. I have three naps finishing on the 31st of July, one day off and a day line on Aug 2nd that starts at 5:00 am one leg to CVG, 5.5 hr CDO at the hotel followed by two legs and finished at 4:30 pm. After that lovely day line I have one day off and then start my regular four day. Not pretty but allowed by the contract and grievance result. Also I suppose crew planning is the one to blame for integration trips. Scheduling does not get their hands on you until the 72 hour window.

Bizjet said:
The schedulers know that you are management's boy and are not to be touched so they are nice to you. They probably drafted some one senior after talking with you because you are the management boy.

HAHAHA!!!

ohplease! said:
those rat bastards did it to me again! I had a great schedule for Aug. and they went and integrated me for a freakin' 2 day worth almost 12 hours! And if that wasn't bad enough, when I said I didn't like the trip and I had something planned those days, you know what they did?!?! they traded it for something else I did like. DAMIT!!! Those jerks!

oh yeah, two days ago, they called me at home and I answered the phone on my off day. You know what they did?!?!? They asked me if I would like to come to work for JR. man pay. I had somethng planned with my kids and told them I didn't really want to come to work that day. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THOSE A'HOLES DID?!?!?! They said "o.k. no problem. We'll call someone else. Have fun with the kids".

The nerve of those people! Now I see what you guys are always bitchin' about. Lets shut this f'ing place down!!!!! Nobody should have to be treated this badly.;)

This little story of yours reminds me of a saying that a very wise captain I once flew with told me. We had just be released early because of a late arrival and ended up getting to go home. We were all quite happy about this, but the captain said, "just remember, everytime you get a little treat like this it means someone else is getting screwed." I don't know who you are that they would ever be this nice to you, but I bet someone else got hosed because of your special treatment (and it was that). Don't know if it's because of your lapdog ways (apparent it most of your posts), or perhaps you're one of those scumbags who bribes schedulers with food. Not only have I never been treated that well by scheduling, I've never even heard of anyone (other than through some form of corruption) getting this type of treatment. That being said, I must admit that they have gotten considerably better since WH left the building.

-Blucher

Cardenal said:
Oh Please:

The problem is that they integrated you. They may have been nice to you, but INTEGRATION is a problem, regardless of how nicely they integrate you.

The airline should be staffed appropriately to prevent the monstrosity that is integration.

Regards

Cardenal

The only out for transistion or intergration is pref bid. It goes away then but that opens another can of worms don't it?

Turkey Shoot said:
The only out for transistion or intergration is pref bid. It goes away then but that opens another can of worms don't it?

Gotta disagree with you there. I can remember explaining integration to a mainline jumpseater one day (about 3-4 years ago), and he was completely floored by it. As he put it "that's like putting everyone back on reserve for the first few days of the month....what's the point in having seniority if that's how they do it?" I don't know how they did it at mainline, but I know they were not doing PBS at that point, and they also didn't have this crazy integration system we have either. Anything man-made can be made better to better serve man. Once you stop believing that you might as well cash it all in because you've officially given up.

-Blucher

Oh Please,

Scheduling being nice is simply a matter of which way the wind is blowing, and can turn on a dime. They were probably told to lighten up given the current COMPLETE dissatisfaction with this part of the contract. Perhaps they were worried about an employee cleaning the place out with an AK-47 (and no I don't am no joking) They have spent YEARS fostering the kind of hatred and tension that breeds fatal workplace violence events. Remember when you could just walk up to the GO and walk arounf FC, Sched, etc....now they are locked behind card swipe doors, and visibly upset when a crew member appears at their window.

Without proper contract verbage (and I mean pages, and pages of it for this section), scheduling can simply run amock with your life---you know this.

Just because you have had a good run lately, it would be short-sighted to believe this is the "new and improved" scheduling."

I've flown with guys that have no clue about reduced rest requirements, look back, extended duty days etc. How you guys expect non-pilots to grasp all this and then utilize it (basically what scheduling does) blows me away. We all have our gripes about being extended or short called etc, but that is nearly universal of all pilots and all airlines.

I agree that ASA scheduling does seem a little short sighted (low coverage comes to mind when trying to trade a lower value trip for a higher value trip) but I don't believe there is a sinister plot in scheduling per-se, I simply think it's dealing with people who have to read lawyer-like rules when not having to live by them.

So here's to Ruth and Renee in scheduling, they've always been nice to me.

SilverandSore said:
I've flown with guys that have no clue about reduced rest requirements, look back, extended duty days etc. How you guys expect non-pilots to grasp all this and then utilize it (basically what scheduling does) blows me away.

Please re-read what you wrote above, then take a minute, think about it, read it again, and think about it, continue this pattern until you realize what you said. It is perhaps the most perfect example of "Atlantatude" I've seen in years. Why would you expect someone to know how to do their job? Hmmm...this is their sole function at the company, they do it all day, everyday, and the computers they use have software that interprets and flags any reg/contract violations automatically. You're right, there's is absolutely no reason they should have any idea how to do their job.

-Blucher:laugh:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back