• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA scheduling cost savings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is evading the question. Why would this not have happened if PBS wasn't voted it?

Because the company WAAAAYYYY too much flexibility. They can set the threshold way high or way low, and we are left with the responsibility of having to solve our own problems involving pre-scheduled events. Many of us are working so much for so little, we are defacto reserves.

-Have you ever seen lines so screwy before? Do you seriously think this is just crew planning's fault? Just wait. They have so much more to show you. The amount of power we have handed them is far beyond what most people now understand. But every day, more and more people are starting to see the size of the hole we have to dig ourselves out of, and they are not very pleased.

-PBS without some kind of trip rigs was just insane.

(P.S.- Wouldn't you love to be the arbitrator on this grievance?)
ALPA- "Dang, the company was supposed to consider our QOL!"
ASA- "We did consider it, and came to the firm conclusion that we don't give a rat's narrow ass."

-We already know that one is a complete waste of time!

Last edited:
Because the company WAAAAYYYY too much flexibility. They can set the threshold way high or way low, and we are left with the responsibility of having to solve our own problems involving pre-scheduled events. Many of us are working so much for so little, we are defacto reserves.

-Have you ever seen lines so screwy before? Do you seriously think this is just crew planning's fault? Just wait. They have so much more to show you. The amount of power we have handed them is far beyond what most people now understand. But every day, more and more people are starting to see the size of the hole we have to dig ourselves out of, and they are not very pleased.

-PBS without some kind of trip rigs was just insane.

(P.S.- Wouldn't you love to be the arbitrator on this grievance?)
ALPA- "Dang, the company was supposed to consider our QOL!"
ASA- "We did consider it, and came to the conclusion that we don't give a rat's narrow ass."

-We already know that one is a complete waste of time!

Ok. What "flexibility" did the company gain that they did not have before?
I ask the question literally because I want to know.
Where I sit, I love PBS, but hate the parings. So far PBS has allowed me more control than ever before. What specifically has PBS done to allow Sh!tty paring construction?

Ok. What "flexibility" did the company gain that they did not have before?
I ask the question literally because I want to know.
Where I sit, I love PBS, but hate the parings. So far PBS has allowed me more control than ever before. What specifically has PBS done to allow Sh!tty paring construction?

Did you notice that they dropped the threshold to 64 to give us a bid solution for March?

Do you think they might just be suckering us in until XJET signs off? What is there to stop them from raising the threshold by 15 hours and plugging trips in with a max credit value of 16 hours? They came pretty close to that for March, then backed off once they recognized that people would figure this whole deal out when they were all reduced to 10 days off in order to complete a schedule.

That was nice for March, but it fooled people into thinking that they would continue to do such things every month. They won't, unless we force them to.

What we need are some sort of real controls on pairing construction, or some kind of trip rigs. That way, we can reliably force them to make better trips-ones which are needed to complete a schedule.

-Bottom line: Right now, we have no way of preventing the company from building pairings which are so awful that it would be impossible for any of us to complete a schedule without working more than just one trip a week. We would be talking about sh!tty 4 days plus a day line or two day each week!!!!We had better fix this in the JCBA.

-TRIP RIGS!!!! PLEASE!

Last edited:
You're right. I even remember you warning of 15 hour trips before the PBS vote and here we are...with 15 hour 4-days.

I also remember JM on the alpa board saying the same. Peculiar.

Yep-

No one talks to anyone else, no one else ever reads anything there. Just one person hated this system that much. Just one.

Peculiar.

Last edited:
Scheduling took a Captain off his 17 hour overnight today and made him fly an additional round trip. Then they deadheaded him back to the original overnight. They extended me for two round trips. Nobody at ASA is line holder anymore.

You do know that ASA doesn't pay for the fuel, right?

Oh, and you're going to try to get more money in negotiations how...by costing more? WTF?

Two thoughts come to mind:

1. The effort made at cost savings by constricting the pairing creation process...is questionable at very best. Regardless of any potential or future personnel changes, the bureaucratic tendencies of the decision making apparatus at our airline apparently will only serve to increase the personnel costs, even further handicapping our airline. Could we please have someone with some strategic vision look at the final product of pairings converted to lines for our pilots to bid on? Clearly, there needs to be a balance between pilots' Quality of Life and the financial needs of the Company. The abomination that is the March set of pairings probably appeared fantastic to the Company's bottom line...when looked at trough the lens of a microscope.
  2. In the not too distant future, most stakeholders in the airline industry predict a shortage of skilled labor, e.g., pilots. It doesn't take an MBA to realize that the demand for the career of 'airline pilot' is waning. Actions like the ones taken by the Company in arbitrarily changing pilot work rules in March only serve to contribute to the upcoming labor shortage. When there are no pilots to hire to meet the schedule...the collective managerial suites of the airlines that will be in trouble...need only look at themselves for blame.

Last edited:
Two thoughts come to mind:

1. The effort made at cost savings by constricting the pairing creation process...is questionable at very best. Regardless of any potential or future personnel changes, the bureaucratic tendencies of the decision making apparatus at our airline apparently will only serve to increase the personnel costs, even further handicapping our airline. Could we please have someone with some strategic vision look at the final product of pairings converted to lines for our pilots to bid on? Clearly, there needs to be a balance between pilots' Quality of Live and the financial needs of the Company. The abomination that is the March set of pairings probably appeared fantastic to the Company's bottom line...when looked at trough the lens of a microscope.
  2. In the not too distant future, most stakeholders in the airline industry predict a shortage of skilled labor, e.g., pilots. It doesn't take an MBA to realize that the demand for the career of 'airline pilot' is waning. Actions like the ones taken by the Company in arbitrarily changing pilot work rules in March only serve to contribute to the upcoming labor shortage. When there are no pilots to hire to meet the schedule...the collective managements of the airlines that will be in trouble...need only look at themselves for blame.

In the words of Judge Chamberlain Haller; that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought out objection.

Did you notice that they dropped the threshold to 64 to give us a bid solution for March?

Do you think they might just be suckering us in until XJET signs off? What is there to stop them from raising the threshold by 15 hours and plugging trips in with a max credit value of 16 hours? They came pretty close to that for March, then backed off once they recognized that people would figure this whole deal out when they were all reduced to 10 days off in order to complete a schedule.

That was nice for March, but it fooled people into thinking that they would continue to do such things every month. They won't, unless we force them to.

What we need are some sort of real controls on pairing construction, or some kind of trip rigs. That way, we can reliably force them to make better trips-ones which are needed to complete a schedule.

-Bottom line: Right now, we have no way of preventing the company from building pairings which are so awful that it would be impossible for any of us to complete a schedule without working more than just one trip a week. We would be talking about sh!tty 4 days plus a day line or two day each week!!!!We had better fix this in the JCBA.

-TRIP RIGS!!!! PLEASE!

I completely agree that we need rigs to either force productivity or pay, but how did PBS specifically give them the ability, which you say they didn't have, to make low credit trips that we all have to work?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back