• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA scheduling cost savings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ya if you want to make some extra $$$ at ASA, just bid short call RES. 87hrs in DEC, 94 in JAN and I hit 101 in FEB. Worked every single day though in FEB. MArch is going to be worse considering there's way more open time to cover.

I'm just curious why a reserve does better than a lineholder at ASA? Can't a lineholder just pick up as much flying as he wants (to 100 hours)?

A typical lineholder at XJT will get an 85-88 hour line. For example, I had a 90 hour line which I dropped down to 75 (during the line-improvement window) for 16 days off.

But when they started offering 200% or 150% pay for picking up, I picked up 20 hours over 3 days (added about another 36 hours of pay). A reserve at XJT would need to work A TON to get near that.

Last edited:
Because the majority of the 4 day pairings are credited between 15-18 hours.

Say you're total month is credited at 64 hours.

You would need to fly an additional 11 hours on your days off before you start making above MMG. Who the hell is going to do that?

Give them time to figure out the software? BS. I don't buy it.

Ok. I see. That's pretty nice that you regularly only have to work 64 hours and get paid the extra 11 hours, though at XJT you get add-pay for any pickups so if you are below MMG you still get full pay for any pickups.

Anyway, our lines are usually in the 78-95 hour range (at least in the coex world), hardly ever below 75 except in vacation month adjustments. The IAH guys seem to have it best, down there a 25 hour commutable 4-day is considered barely "acceptable".

Are those unproductive pairings as a result of PBS? or were they always like that?

Last edited:
At AWAC we'd kill to get 65 hour lines available to us. Average for us is in the 90 hour range. Try that out for a few years and you wouldn't be complaining so much.

I've asked the powers-that-be why they don't pay the schedulers more to keep them around longer, let them learn the rules. A scheduler that knows the duty-rigs and actually has an aptitude for resource managment (Wayne!) could save the company tens of thousands of dollars a year in cancelled flights alone, never mind the savings in reduced crew utilization etc. Obviously, a pencil-necked geek has run the numbers without factoring in all of the variables, and this is what we get. I guess in the Delta rate reset, less importance is placed on D0, A-14 etc cause those numbers are out the window and nary a word or a 'Thanks for all you do'. Some days I wonder...

Ditto-

A great way to save many millions would be to retain a few scheduling folks who really have a clue. Seems to be, this problem is common to all airlines. A scheduler who really knows what he or she is doing is worth at least as much as a good dispatcher, and should be compensated accordingly.

Ok. I see. That's pretty nice that you regularly only have to work 64 hours and get paid the extra 11 hours, though at XJT you get add-pay for any pickups so if you are below MMG you still get full pay for any pickups.

No, it is not nice to work the same number of days and earn 20 hours less pay.

No, it is not nice to work the same number of days and earn 20 hours less pay.

Exactly!!!

Last month- four 4 days worth 88 hrs. This month, four 4 days worth 67 hrs. Same days worked, large paycut! Enough said. Now......three 4 days woth 67 hrs and we're talking!

Latest resources

Back