ASA scheduling cost savings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

twott driver

So here's my take on this scheduling cluster. Build as many lineholders as possible to below guarantee, so that they don't pick up opentime, and then fly the crap out of the reserves. Line holders generally are more senior and earn more per hour, while reserves are doing the rest of the flying at a much reduced rate. Check out the reserve credits for Feb, most are at 90+hrs for the month.

My hope is it's a false economy and it bites them in the ass.

Sorry, but that only goes so far.

20 something pilots on each seat can hardly touch the opentime coverage on 800 plus pilots.

You would have to add to your theory, that many lineholders are well below 75hrs, so they plan on extending and junior manning when they can up to 75 and try their best to hold them close to it. But, when the dung hits the fan on a few irop days, this little plan of theirs is out the window.

They have decided that QOL is not a factor in planning, and they are trying to see how far they can push us before we come after them with pitch forks, then they will only back off enough to get us to put the forks down. Giving us the "feeling" that we made them fix things.

Sorry, but that only goes so far.

20 something pilots on each seat can hardly touch the opentime coverage on 800 plus pilots.

You would have to add to your theory, that many lineholders are well below 75hrs, so they plan on extending and junior manning when they can up to 75 and try their best to hold them close to it. But, when the dung hits the fan on a few irop days, this little plan of theirs is out the window.

They have decided that QOL is not a factor in planning, and they are trying to see how far they can push us before we come after them with pitch forks, then they will only back off enough to get us to put the forks down. Giving us the "feeling" that we made them fix things.

That may be exactly what they will try and do. If they put you below 75 hrs then each hour you fly until 75 hrs they only have to pay you 50% on top of your 75hrs. Let's see what they do...

Ya if you want to make some extra $$$ at ASA, just bid short call RES. 87hrs in DEC, 94 in JAN and I hit 101 in FEB. Worked every single day though in FEB. MArch is going to be worse considering there's way more open time to cover.

Ya if you want to make some extra $$$ at ASA, just bid short call RES. 87hrs in DEC, 94 in JAN and I hit 101 in FEB. Worked every single day though in FEB. MArch is going to be worse considering there's way more open time to cover.

And since they're treating lineholders like reserves...the QOL is about the same.

How's that for SUCK?

Medeco and OCP,

you are exactly right. They will squeeze and squeeze until the pilot group says f-it, then they back off just a bit, let the dust settle, then squeeze some more. Management understands 1 thing...money. They will continue to do that until they go from savings to increasing cost.

Right now, if you want to pick up something and make more money...you have to work 8 to 10 hrs for free. However, if THEY want to fly you more, they have you at half price!

It is the ultimate reserve system for the company. (UNTIL THE COMPANY LOSES $$$)

I've asked the powers-that-be why they don't pay the schedulers more to keep them around longer, let them learn the rules. A scheduler that knows the duty-rigs and actually has an aptitude for resource managment (Wayne!) could save the company tens of thousands of dollars a year in cancelled flights alone, never mind the savings in reduced crew utilization etc. Obviously, a pencil-necked geek has run the numbers without factoring in all of the variables, and this is what we get. I guess in the Delta rate reset, less importance is placed on D0, A-14 etc cause those numbers are out the window and nary a word or a 'Thanks for all you do'. Some days I wonder...

I can think of 4 schedulers that are in there and super senior. They know what they are doing.

Just remind yourself, that they are testing how far they can push before the entire workforce revolts.

Meanwhile, BH will speak like a politician who will save the day

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back