• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA scheduling cost savings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I completely agree that we need rigs to either force productivity or pay, but how did PBS specifically give them the ability, which you say they didn't have, to make low credit trips that we all have to work?

The issue isn't that the couldn't have produced trips so horrible, it is that they wouldn't have done it. If we ever saw garbage trips like this, someone in crew planning would have been fired.

As I understand it, the company has long wanted to carpet-bomb naps, because they are so "unproductive." The only issue is that they would have tons of extra open time no one would pick up because the trips which result from eliminating the naps are so screwy. (Keep in mind that there are now no naps in open time, and no day lines, but mostly low-block two days or four days with long overnights that people wouldn't have touched in the past.) Also keep in mind that much of what would have been undesirable "open time" which the company would have had to deal with is now just digested into the system, and placed onto the schedules of anyone who set a personal credit threshold above 64. Anyone who wanted to make a dime over guarantee has had to eat a couple of these crap sandwiches in March.

Now, we have given them carte blanche to both eliminate the naps and to force people to suck up trips they really wouldn't otherwise want. When have we ever worked so much for so little? (I know several people who are working right at min days off for credit only in the low 80s.)

The company now has the extra bonus of most of us being at work all the time-ready to cover all sorts of stuff reserves used to cover, plus they have virtually eliminated naps-and we did all this for far less money than we used to make! (When is the last time any of us worked close to min days off for less than 95 hours credit?)

Why even have reserves when so many people are available working at close to min days off? The whole idea of even having reserves is starting to seem "unproductive." Are we starting to see how "flexible" this system can get for the company?

The issue isn't whether this could have occurred under the old system, but why it didn't. I think it didn't, because it would have created too many problems with undesirable open time (which the company would have had to cover in the past, because no one would have picked it up.) Now, so many people are working so many more crappy trips, the open time problem is gone. So is the reserve problem. Why even bother with reserves at all? If they put everyone at min days off (which they still could do,) no one would need to be a reserve ever again-maximum efficiency indeed! (Laugh, if you will, but I think this is where this agreement can take us.)

-TRIP RIGS!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE!! We absolutely MUST fix this. The JCBA is our last chance, before we all become reserves again.

Last edited:
In Goofy's voice, "It's not a PBS issue, it's a pairing construction issue." I am really going to get p.o. when I am eating noodles at the later part of April. You ALPA guys really are doing a poor job. I would feel better if you sent an email to us saying so, and you will do better with future endeavors. You guys have lost faith with the red arrow bs. Now pbs and min day for reserves who have to fly split pairings. I pay alot of money every year to ALPA, I expect more than a fast food meal during ground school.

In Goofy's voice, "It's not a PBS issue, it's a pairing construction issue." I am really going to get p.o. when I am eating noodles at the later part of April. You ALPA guys really are doing a poor job. I would feel better if you sent an email to us saying so, and you will do better with future endeavors. You guys have lost faith with the red arrow bs. Now pbs and min day for reserves who have to fly split pairings. I pay alot of money every year to ALPA, I expect more than a fast food meal during ground school.

It would be nice to get more value for our money.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back