• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA S3C Pass benefits?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All you commuters here, enlighten a non-commuter. How much will S3C affect your commute personally? Are the loads usually so close that the drop in priority will make the difference between getting on and getting left behind?

I've done a fair bit of non-revving in my time at ASA (but not nearly as much as a commuter) and it's always seemed fairly obvious ahead of time whether I would get on or not, regardless of priority. I'm not making any judgements about commuters (you're braver than I am!), I just find it interesting to hear talk of people quitting over the changes and I'm curious about how tight it will with S3C priority.

You will fly S3 on your own epquipment, ahead of Delta. That's the way it is at OO and I'm sure will be with you guys.

Early word I am hearing is that Delta Mainline is S3 and ASA / SkyW are S3C across the board. The logic is that Delta owns the flying. For those of you who have been around a while you might remember that in 1999 ALPA (yes ALPA) filed a grievance on behalf of Delta mainline pilots who were angry that ASA employees were given equal status as Delta employees. The grievance was based on contract language which forbade Delta from making any substantial changes to the pass benefit. I believe the grievance went away on the basis that Delta employees got equal status on ASA flights - which a lot of them use for commuting.

Delta wants more concessions from its pilots and ego goes a long way over there. If going back to telling the Delta pilots what they want to hear gets Delta management a nickel in savings, it is seen as a win / win.

All the Connection outfits are ( in ALPA's view and in Delta's view ) is a bunch of low life loosers who do not deserve even the most insignificant gesture to maintain their loyalty. Someone needs to see if our contract has any reference to a change (reduction / loss) of pass benefits and see how interested ALPA is in promoting our grievance.

And just to think how many times I've called dispatch to reduce extra fuel to get those folks on our airplanes....

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
Tell me, is there anyone on this thread who will quit because you lose S3 status on Delta or any other change to benefits. If your commuting and it makes your job untenable I can see it but come on, "Mass Exodus"?

"the sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

shamrock said:
All you commuters here, enlighten a non-commuter. How much will S3C affect your commute personally? Are the loads usually so close that the drop in priority will make the difference between getting on and getting left behind?.

For the many many ex DFW based crew members who still live there, there are lots of flights where you don't get on as an S2, let alone an S3.

An S3C might as well stay home and call in sick.

Get on TravelNet some time and look at the ATL DFW flights.

LOTS of priority dates in the 1970s and 80s commuting back and forth.

Airboss said:
This was copied from deltanet, take it as you wish.

THE OFFICIAL WORD ON ASA/SKYWEST (non rev) CAME YESTERDAY!!
Posted: Oct 20, 2005 9:34 AM

This is NO RUMOR folks, and straight from the ASA management meetings held @ Ga. Tech on the 19th. The only thing i haven't seen on paper (or didn't pay attention to) was when it takes effect (as I've heard Jan06 and July 06, but July more often than Jan).

As of the date it starts in 06 (either Jan or July)

ASA and Skywest employees will receive unlimited S3C, including the very valuable (although NOW significantly harder to use) 18 international segments, which ASA already had, but skywest did not. ASA loses their S2 travel days(and will NOT receive any S2B's C's or anything else. Oh, and 4 buddy passes.

So there you have it... Will the 18 segments staying in place prevent what potentially would have been the largest mass exodus in the history of the industry, or will the idea of trying to come home with an S3C from an international destination still be enough to push people out the door?

One thing I DID NOT see, was weather ASA maintains the benefit of flying free to Dakar, and Jburg on SAA. ANOTHER HUGE piece of the puzzle for MANY.

Hey boss maybe i am reading into it the wrong way??? Do the buddy passes stay or go. thanks

It'll Fly said:
Tell me, is there anyone on this thread who will quit because you lose S3 status on Delta or any other change to benefits. If your commuting and it makes your job untenable I can see it but come on, "Mass Exodus"?

"the sky is falling, the sky is falling!"
When Jerry Atkin came to Atlanta, THE question brought by ramp personnel and gate agents, repeated again and again and again and again, until everyone was so sick of hearing it was "what about pass benefits?"

Will pilots exit in droves, probably not. But again we are reminded of our place as pilots and a lot of us realize the need to move on. I don't think it will have a big effect on mechanics either.

But this is a critical difference for Rampers and Flight Attendants. The difference between the ramp and Wendy's is whether you like free food and air conditioning, or if you and your friends prefer to travel.

Mr. Atkin probably figured pass benefits don't matter - candidly - I did not think they mattered until I sat in on meetings which involved our front line and below wing service employees. Then, I realized how big a deal this is.

~~~^~~~

Pass benefits are part of our compensation. I would say that this is a BIG deal considering we are 3+ years without a new contract and the current contract continues to be violated shamelessly.

Will this be the final straw that pushes pilots to leave the company ? Who knows. It is however, another in a series of mgmt actions that are detrimental to the pilots.

How many of our pilots commute ?????

How many Mainline employees have been hired in the last 4-5 years? Isnt that the only way they could get on in front of as ASA employee? (one who has been here 4-5 years) I dont think there many at all, so other than S3bs, I dont see how this is going to make a big difference.

That would mean a change at SkyWest, as right now we travel ahead of delta and united employees on our own equipment. Not saying it won't happen, just saying thats not how it is right now. We have been advised of no changes on this side of the SKW Inc. "Fence". We shall see...

Latest resources

Back