• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Quality of Life

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unfortunately, you will be placed in whatever aircraft and domicile the company decides to put you in. You can, of course, put in a bid preference for something else right away but it may take a while.

Some new hires have been getting the 700. Aircraft assignment is not experience based. No particular assignment pattern. They expect anyone they hire to be able to get through any training program and eventually be captain on any and/or all aircraft.

Training is in ATL at ASA headquarters and Flight Safety next door.

Aircraft: ATL: EMB-120 (to be phased out next year sometime rumor has it), ATR-72, CRJ-200, CRJ-700

DFW: EMB-120 (Brasilias to remain), CRJ-200

Differences training (I believe) for CRJ-200 to CRJ-700

Yes, Captains and FOs are bidding over to the 700. Some junior FOs and captains I might add. Junior pilots on the aircraft run the risk of being on reserve a VERY long time.

There IS a pay differential between the 200 and 700. Top end CPT pay on 700 over $100/hr. Again, this will parallel Comair at some point which is around $120/hr top end throughout life of contract.

Yes, we are hiring Delta furloughees, among other major and 121 furloughees.

All will agree, ASA is a great airline as long as the aircraft are pushed away from the gate. I don't think you will find a better training department or pilot group. The maintenance department does excellent work. We don't fly unsafe aircraft.

However... I have observed that this airline is run as a very low cost carrier and operates with 10 less workers in every area than we need. This creates a great deal of problems that we all end up blaming each other and finally it all comes back to crew scheduling.

Due to the low cost structure, it's difficult for the company to hire employees that have knowledge or experience and maintain dedication and pride for ASA.

I would classify ASA as a place to gain experience to move on later.
The company is trying, however, right now they seem to be beating a dead horse.

ASA is operating with too few CRJ FOs in ATL right now and and seem to be sending all the new hires to DFW. ???!! Captains flying right seat in ATL have been common. Today is my 21st day on reserve this month and as soon as I get the call from screw scheduling I'll be a perfect 21 for 21 flying in October. Not that bad if you are holding a line and know ahead of time what you are doing but not too much fun when on reserve.

As Auto Transfer said, crew scheduling couldn't care less about your quality of life when on reserve. They go home at the end of their shift no matter what and don't seem to be accountable for anything they do. They are an ongoing problem at ASA but thankfully we have a good group of Chief Pilots in ATL who don't hold scheduling in high regard. You'll still be responsible if you screw up but if scheduling tries to pull something they'll go to bat for you.

Well, gotta go. I just got the call. This job can be fun but crew scheduling certainly does their best to ruin it!

shamrock said:
ASA is operating with too few CRJ FOs in ATL right now and and seem to be sending all the new hires to DFW. ???!! Captains flying right seat in ATL have been common. Today is my 21st day on reserve this month and as soon as I get the call from screw scheduling I'll be a perfect 21 for 21 flying in October. Not that bad if you are holding a line and know ahead of time what you are doing but not too much fun when on reserve.

As Auto Transfer said, crew scheduling couldn't care less about your quality of life when on reserve. They go home at the end of their shift no matter what and don't seem to be accountable for anything they do. They are an ongoing problem at ASA but thankfully we have a good group of Chief Pilots in ATL who don't hold scheduling in high regard. You'll still be responsible if you screw up but if scheduling tries to pull something they'll go to bat for you.

Well, gotta go. I just got the call. This job can be fun but crew scheduling certainly does their best to ruin it!

Wow, what a difference an aircraft assignment can make. I have been on 70 seat RJ reserve this month and have only flown 4 days. I guess CS sucks, I don't know, they hardly ever call me.

Aircraft assignment

btflyer,

I would change one thing that Boxer said in an earlier post about aircraft assignment. In the past they have simply assigned you to a plane/domicile at the start without a choice.

As of the Oct 21st class they changed it a bit, at least for that class they did and I will find out on the 4th of Nov. if they continue the new way. The new way is to post the open slots of planes/domiciles and allow you to bid on day one of class.

Example:

6-RJ/DFW

7-RJ/ATL

5-ATR/ATL

6-E120/DFW

They will give it to you on age seniority in your class ,if you get your bid your seat locked for 1 year in the plane. If your young you can count on the E120/DFW. The current stated goal is to have this plane based in Dallas by June of 03, but things change so you never know.

Medeco,

I hope you are correct in saying they bid the aircraft by senority/age. I'm in the Nov 4th class so I'll let you all know
if this is true.

I am glad to hear that they are assiging aircraft based on your seniority within the new hire class. This is the way it should have been done all along. When I came through two years ago, they put you where they wanted you, and paid no attention to seniority.

I would think that most of the junior pilots will end up on the 70 seat RJ, that is where the longest potential reserve time and worst schedules will be found.

Congrats to you new hires coming in on the 4th. Just FYI, the December prelims showed these openings for the new hire class on that date:

(5) ATL ATR-72
(5) ATL CRJ-200
(0) ATL CRJ-700
(0) ATL E-120

(10) DFW CRJ-200
(5) DFW E-120

Regarding bidding, be aware that most of the growth at ASA over the last two years has been at DFW. Those who don't want to sit on reserve for a year or more may want to consider this if they let you bid by age now during new hire class. Long standing rumors as well as company literature has stated the intended, continued growth of the DFW base. ie: holding a line much quicker. In Dallas, I sat on reserve only one month and most others only a few more. Not trying to diss' ATL at all, I may bid out there eventually, but only on the 70 and when I can hold a line. New hires that I went to class with summer of 2001 who got ATL CRJ and E-120 are only JUST NOW holding low seniority relief lines. ATR guys had it a little better. Anyway, just something to think about. There's only one way to say it: reserve $ucks big-time. Either way, congrats again and welcome!

I am ecstatic to have a job and all, but isn't assigning aircraft and domicile essentially on the basis of age a blatant form of discrimination? I know this accusation was made a LONG time ago at FedEx, which prompted them to assign seniority within a class based on a 'random' criteria--the last four digits of your SSN.
I am not trying to complain, just asking a simple question about why they chose to do it that way. (I think if I was older, I wouldn't be asking.) I am excited to fly whatever they'll let me, but the prospect of possibly being assigned something through whatever voodoo they used to used sounded much better than getting whatever's left. (I know, welcome to the seniority system.)

Latest resources

Back