ASA Pilots Read FOM MX Reporting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No you can not tell them what is wrong!

It says " Verbal reporting of discrepancies is NOT AUTHORIZED" !

Yes for eveyone else we do write it up in the AFDL.

At skywest MX sent out a memo to the pilots saying that if we verbally report a mx item instead of putting it in the can, that this causes paperwork problems for them with the FAA. They have to try to explain why something was replaced/repaired when no discrepancy was reported. Remember the feds are all about the paperwork.

WE DO HAVE TO WRITE IT UP TOO=OK

BUT WE can not tell them OVER the radio the problem pre the FOM !!

Radio call only is NG. It must be documented. Calling on the radio the problem and the NOT writing it up is bad as it will open you uop to certificate action for flying with a know discrepancy.

OK, so why on earth would they prohibit us from telling mx what's wrong over the radio? Seems like scarlet has found a very creative way to read the FOM and the only point the FOM makes is simply that you cannot call mx on the radio, tell them what's wrong, and have it fixed without writing it up in the AFDL.

No you can not tell them what is wrong!

It says " Verbal reporting of discrepancies is NOT AUTHORIZED" !

Yes for eveyone else we do write it up in the AFDL.

Come on Scarlet, you know that it means that you can't ONLY tell them what's wrong on the radio, you must ALSO write it up. Of course you can give them a heads up about what you are writing up. For instance, if you are writing up a landing light, if you tell them the mechanic can bring a new bulb with him. If you don't, he has to make more than one trip, which punishes the mechanic, not the company. If I were you I would want to keep as many of the mechanics on your side as possible.

I heard and read the FOM 2-5.5 that we are not AUTHUORIZED to give VERBAL mx discrepancies !!

It states
1. You will write it up
2. Call MX and tell them you have a write up and your gate location.
3. You are done !!

MX is aware of this as of yesterday, so I heard !!

You have issues, son. If you wish to start a personal war with MX, go for it. Leave the rest of us out of it.

For those of you not familiar, this is directly out of our FOM:
2-5.5 Maintenance Irregularities and the AFDL states:
"The FAA requires that aircraft discrepancies be written in the Aircraft Flight Discrepancy Log (AFDL) as soon as practical. Verbal reporting of discrepancies is not authorized. The PIC shall ensure that all mechanical irregularities are entered into the AFDL."
2-5.5 Notification of Discrepancies states:
"As soon as practical, an AFDL entry must be made and OCC notified after becoming aware of a discrepancy. If ASA line maintenance is available at the location, the Captain will directly notify Line Maintenance of the discrepancy."

No you can not tell them what is wrong! It says " Verbal reporting of discrepancies is NOT AUTHORIZED" !

Informing MX on the radio what the discrepancy is isn't clasified as a "verbal discrepancy". Telling a mechanic of a discrepancy without writing it up is. If you've ever told MX of a discrepancy and not written it in the book, you're wrong. If MX has had a meeting over this, then the days of "Have you written it up?" or "Don't bother writing it up, it's too much paperwork over a bulb." are finally over.

As for myself, I'm just doing my job. If it's broke, it's written up. I'm not purposely overlooking anything. I'll call MX like I'm supposed to. If they want specifics, no problem. They'll get their log page and item number for tracking. They'll get my employee number for tracking, because I'm only doing my job, and there's nothing anyone can say otherwise.

Last edited:
long time gone, well said. I agree with you, they are misreading their FOM. The intent of that wording is not to prohibit you from advising MX over the radio or telephone that you have a write up and what it is. The purpose is to prevent "verbal reporting of discrepancies" meaning not making an entry in the logbook. It's pretty obvious.

long time gone, well said. I agree with you, they are misreading their FOM. The intent of that wording is not to prohibit you from advising MX over the radio or telephone that you have a write up and what it is. The purpose is to prevent "verbal reporting of discrepancies" meaning not making an entry in the logbook. It's pretty obvious.

I agree.

However, certain instructors from training AND standards are teaching this way. I think thats where the confusion comes in.

If MX ever catches up and stops deferring all things deferrable, we're going to have some sharp looking RJs out there. Brand new gasper vents, yoke clips, arm rests, placards etc.

I have never seen so many things deferred on our planes.

Latest resources

Back