• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA pilot says Long Commutes not Fatiguing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can guarantee you that the government is going to try to go after and regulate commuting. I don't know about you but there are very few cities in which any of the airlines operate hubs that I would want to live in. I live where I want to live and I don't want that to change because of this accident. Everyone needs to pick up the same rhetoric as this guy. Commuting is VERY relaxing!

not everyone can fall asleep on planes. I can't sleep sitting upright at all.
not everyone has a short commute. Not everyone has a one leg commute. Not everyone has less than 2 hour time zone changes between where they live and where they work. And MANY have a stressful commute, wondering if they'll get on and if they'll have to run a half mile to the other side of the airport for another flight.

All the above lead to it being a very tiring event. That ASA p-rick simply thinks that because his commute is easy, then all commutes must be easy.

Blanket statements. What a moron.

Do you commute? If you do, I'm guessing it is because you don't want to move to and live in your hub city. Well, keep talking like this and that is exactly what you are going to have to do after the government is done "fixing the commuting problem". Either that or I guess you could just quit your job and start working for a local truck driving company.

I can guarantee you that the government is going to try to go after and regulate commuting. I don't know about you but there are very few cities in which any of the airlines operate hubs that I would want to live in. I live where I want to live and I don't want that to change because of this accident. Everyone needs to pick up the same rhetoric as this guy. Commuting is VERY relaxing!

You can bet that the FAA is going regulate commuting when they get around to updating duty time regs. I would expect that time spent commuting (not local in nature) will be added to your duty day. If you have a short duty day scheduled its not a big deal to commute on the front end of it but don't expect to start your commute six hours prior to a 14 hour duty day.

If pilots (and pilot Unions) want to get serious about updating the seriously antiquated FAA flight and duty time regs we cannot bury our heads in the sand on such critical fatigue drivers such as commuting. Doing so supports the kind of hypocrisy that waters down and makes our positions transparent and irrelevant. Commuting is a privilege....not a right.

You guys really need to read between the lines on what Tom is doing. Do you want him helping you or not?

So it is OK to lie if it is helping your agenda?

I say tell the truth even if it does not help your cause. I hope he (this 8 year ASA capt) is being miss quoted. I hope he is just speaking for himself and the reporter is doing his own thing.

Maybe this asa guy has a good commute but you can't imply that for all. Commuting is stressful you can't deny that. I had an easy commute between PHL and DCA for 2.5 years and it wore on me. It made such a bad impression that 8 months ago when I got booted from PHL to CLT I moved rather than commute.

Either the reporter needs to be corrected or this asa guy needs to be smacked with an integrity check.

-------

Along the line of commuting:

Just my opinion:

If you decide to live in East Dicksmoke Montana and take a job with an airline based in DFW or ATL then man up and make a commute that allows you to sign in rested. It is called taking responsibility for your actions.

on the other hand....

You get a job based where you live or move to your base and your airline management starts playing crew base musical chairs every 6 months as they move flying around (thus screwing the junior guys base wise) then that is another story.

Or along the same lines they bump you to a base you can't afford, for example you live and are based in CVG and you get moved to LGA on a 30K/year FO salary then again another story.

Does the 2 examples above mean it is ok not to take responsibility for you (forced) commute? I guess that is up to each pilot to decide.

We cannot be expected to move every 2 years or live where we cant afford safe shelter or even food.

Sounds to me like TZ is basing his opinion on his own experience and not trying to speak for anyone else. Of course his main agenda is to deflect all this attention on commuting by the press, FAA, NTSB, etc. I'm quite positive no commuter wants any type of government involvement when it comes to restricting his/her ride to/from work.

Have you driven in ATL traffic? I think 2+ hour commute is WAAAAAY more "relaxing" than a 1 hour drive in this hellhole of traffic. I'm about ready to strangle puppies when I drive that much here.

That is partly what he is saying

I used to drive 1.5 hrs to commute to work in TPA. Now I sit for 2 hours in the back of the plane when I commute to my new base. I wholly agree that I am more rested sitting in the back of the plane.

Yes, I am one of those people who can sleep on the plane. So if I need a nap to keep me fresh I have the option to do so on a plane. Not so when I was driving. If anything, I would be more stressed out dealing with stupid drivers on I4.

Some of you jerks need to realize that our commuting priveledges may be at risk, and we need to make sure that regulators and the general public aren't fed fuel to spark the fire against us doing so.

Have you driven in ATL traffic? I think 2+ hour commute is WAAAAAY more "relaxing" than a 1 hour drive in this hellhole of traffic. I'm about ready to strangle puppies when I drive that much here.

Haha! Oh so true.... some ghetto chick talking on her cell phone in the fast lane doing 55 mph all the way around 285.

It's pretty obvious that this ASA guy was trying to defend commuters, which I think is pretty smart. There are much bigger bridges we need to cross before regulating commuting- like realistic rest regulations and improving airline training and hiring requirements. That being said, I half expect the government to take the easy way out and do this thereby screwing the rich overpaid pilots. ( of course copilots don't matter- they don't fly the airplane).

They do and the airline industry will shut down....

Latest resources

Back