• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA performance as of late...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As an aside, I find it puzzling that so many captains tell their FO's, "I'll fly my leg the way I want, you fly yours the way you want." It's obvious they don't want to seem like a control freak, yet it reminds me of parents who completely avoid child discipline so they will be liked by their kids. Geez! It is possible to ensure the airplane is flown with safety and efficiency in mind (the way the company wants and pays you to) without being a jerk. Captains, it's your job!

Yes, as long as the "captain's way" is following company procedure. If the FO is more standard than the captain, they are within their rights to fly that way.

I usually brief this way. "I'm really laid back and fly standard."

How's that for my FI friends?
While I have no doubt that you are a most excellent captain and have never uttered those words :beer:, for the rest of you guys, how many times as an FO did you fly with a captain who said both but was neither? I think that brief is so cliché as to be meaningless to most pilots. Medeco is right, a good initial brief is a difficult thing to do. You somehow have to convey that you really do mean to fly standard, but the rest of your demeanor has to come off as friendly, approachable, and nonthreatening. After many years, I'm still working on it too.

Last edited:
While I have no doubt that you are a most excellent captain and have never uttered those words :beer:, for the rest of you guys, how many times as an FO did you fly with a captain who said both but was neither?

What scares the hell out of me is the, "I'm pretty laid back." I cringe when the words come out. Generally, they are not. I fly by the book basically but prefer to have the CA fly the first leg. I get a good look at what they expect and how they do it. Basically, I conform to how the CA likes to do things. I spent enough time in the military to not get my panties in a wad over of the chain of command.

My brief when I get there; "I try to fly standard but fail miserably at times. If you fart, game on."

While I have no doubt that you are a most excellent captain and have never uttered those words :beer:, for the rest of you guys, how many times as an FO did you fly with a captain who said both but was neither? I think that brief is so cliché as to be meaningless to most pilots. Medeco is right, a good initial brief is a difficult thing to do. You somehow have to convey that you really do mean to fly standard, but the rest of your demeanor has to come off as friendly, approachable, and nonthreatening. After many years, I'm still working on it too.

Until the plane has our personal names on the side of it, we should fly it the way the company wants us to fly it WITHIN REASON. If A14 is an issue, we'll work with that. Seriously, at .78 heading to atl just to slow to 250 over PAYTN seems pointless. You could do .70 or whatever's planned and not deal with the frustration of speeding up/slowing down every 2 mins.

We all know how to fly the airplane. Lets stay on time in reference to factors within our control, when things are out of our control, we'll do our best to fix them enroute, complete the trip and go home.

Captains, the best briefings I've gotten have been, fly the airplane with common sense. Fill out the appropriate paperwork, dont be a typical ERAU d'bag, and fly the numbers and we'll be fine.

Back to the orig subject, it appears the MTC problems are getting worse by the day. As of 1330 today we have 57 cxld flts w/ all but 2 due to mtx. Of the 55 mtc cxls 4 were damage from contract. I hope the new guy from SLC can turn this around and soon. Its not a very good way to welcome a new fleet type to the mix.

Last edited:
Captains, the best briefings I've gotten have been... dont be a typical ERAU d'bag.....
Reminds me of one of the worst briefings I received as an FO. It went something like, "...and don't be like those FO's who...blah, blah, blah." Talk about killing your faith in your partner!

I'm not sure what's going on with maintenance other than the fact that our Canadian airplanes for some reason don't like the cold. Go figure. (Maybe that's the reason they originally flew south to begin with). I do know that I've had more ramp failures than I can count recently. It seems like there needs to be more accountability when a contract station delays us. I know the DOT numbers are what they are, but perhaps for DCI ranking purposes, if say a Comair station is responsible for an ASA delay, then Comair should take a hit. In other words, the numbers should be adjusted for weather, atc, and contract stations.

Back to the orig subject, it appears the MTC problems are getting worse by the day. As of 1330 today we have 57 cxld flts w/ all but 2 due to mtx. Of the 55 mtc cxls 4 were damage from contract. I hope the new guy from SLC can turn this around and soon. Its not a very good way to welcome a new fleet type to the mix.
What is damage from contract? Is it so cold they are suffering from 'shrinkage'?

Last edited:
atlcrjdriver,

where do you find the cnx's at?

701EV

Latest resources

Back