• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Asa pbs ta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't understand how PBS helps us compete. Say we get PBS. What now we can beat out Pinnacle, Mesa, Republic, go jets, etc.... They already have PBS and more junior pilots... we lose. I will admit it won't be a blow out but honestly did you see how the station awards went? Our senior pilot group can't compete.

Maybe if we took a sub-mesa paycut. Then installed PBS. Then go dual-qualification. We could grow and save our jobs.

I don't understand how PBS helps us compete. Say we get PBS. What now we can beat out Pinnacle, Mesa, Republic, go jets, etc.... They already have PBS and more junior pilots... we lose. I will admit it won't be a blow out but honestly did you see how the station awards went? Our senior pilot group can't compete.

Maybe if we took a sub-mesa paycut. Then installed PBS. Then go dual-qualification. We could grow and save our jobs.
if you have a better idea, now would be the time to speak up.....

Well if it was me. I would demand one list. Whatever it took to get one list I would do.

That won't happen. Ok how about a no furlough no downgrade clause. This thing passes and we lose 20 RJ's... You'll have 10 year captains clinging to reserve.

Lets also be clear. No new flying exists. Full stop. So yes this will make us competative for a non-existent bid. Well done.

Listen this thing will pass no problem. We will vote ourselves out of jobs. Similar to major airlines and scope. Granted it will only be 15% of our jobs... not the 50% gem the majors did.

Well if it was me. I would demand one list. Whatever it took to get one list I would do.

That won't happen. Ok how about a no furlough no downgrade clause. This thing passes and we lose 20 RJ's... You'll have 10 year captains clinging to reserve.

Lets also be clear. No new flying exists. Full stop. So yes this will make us competative for a non-existent bid. Well done.

Listen this thing will pass no problem. We will vote ourselves out of jobs. Similar to major airlines and scope. Granted it will only be 15% of our jobs... not the 50% gem the majors did.

Crash- there is flying out there, and there will continue to be flying out there- Express Jet is proof positive of that. It's true that PBS increases efficiency in order to do more with less. It's also true that it really only helps the company if we grow- something we need to do here. We've got a lot of smart people running some hard numbers, and the bottom line is that this thing's gotta work here. That's that's the cold hard fact if we even have a shot at survival. Why so dead set against it- seems to me that with your outlook on things it should be apparent that we have nothing to lose and everything to gain......... More downgrades and displacements will happen anyway- 20 RJ's gone is a massive hit, so at least PBS gives us a reasonable shot of finding some homes for these things, and it also lowers overhead for some at risk flying as well. We're not down and we're certainly not out, but it is gonna take some serious changes to ensure we stay in the game.

Sound about right to me.

That is one thing that I thought would be in the TA is a no downgrade clause. Everyone is convinced Mesa will lose flying but United will sign back up when J.O. drops the price to nothing just to keep it.

Crash- there is flying out there, and there will continue to be flying out there- Express Jet is proof positive of that. It's true that PBS increases efficiency in order to do more with less. It's also true that it really only helps the company if we grow- something we need to do here. We've got a lot of smart people running some hard numbers, and the bottom line is that this thing's gotta work here. That's that's the cold hard fact if we even have a shot at survival. Why so dead set against it- seems to me that with your outlook on things it should be apparent that we have nothing to lose and everything to gain......... More downgrades and displacements will happen anyway- 20 RJ's gone is a massive hit, so at least PBS gives us a reasonable shot of finding some homes for these things, and it also lowers overhead for some at risk flying as well. We're not down and we're certainly not out, but it is gonna take some serious changes to ensure we stay in the game.
Express Jet got what flying, some temp from Delta because they were out in LA, and some temp flying from United that ended a month ago. They thought it was going to be renewed but has not. And guess what they DON'T have PBS! And their contract is similar to ours, pay, min day, rigs, and better reserve rules.

Let's assume you are correct for a second...

How does it follow, then, that we shouldn't at least try to be more efficient? That's like the fat chick who eats even more cake... Maybe she wouldn't be a playboy bunny if she laid off the cake, but she wouldn't be 500 lbs either...

If we don't start making moves towards efficiency, we are screwed. We may not be able to get our costs lower than Mesa. With our pilot's seniority, we all know that won't happen, but we can be a lean operation. Who knows, if we run a good, efficient operation, we may get more flying, even if we are more expensive.

Why not make growth or new flying a stipulation of PBS? Set up the TA, then set up the software to practice like the mec said, the company bids on new flying with the cost savings in it, then if we win the flying we flip the switch to pbs. Everyone benefits, including our furloughed brothers. The way it is now if we don't get the flying only the company benefits. Now what is the argument with that?

Last edited:
I'll sign on to PBS with the following condition:

CT re-retires and his illegitimate love child, SH resigns.

Bottom line, I do not trust these two any further than I can throw a locomotive. I believe there are ulterior motives in play here.

Latest resources

Back