• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA or CHQ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look at Swaayze's qualifications. He can afford to be at least a LITTLE bit choosy -- he doesn't need to pounce on the first airline to call him as if he were some 1200 hour flight instructor desperate to put on an airline uniform.

I think he's doing the right thing. Research the companies that interest him and, hopefully, make a decision that he and his family can live with.

With qualifications like his either company will be fortunate to have him.

While it is true that our exposure with US Airways, (32 aircraft), is greater than the exposure we had with AWA, (12 aircraft), our managment has show that they do not sit back and wait for things to happen. They are always looking for new opportunities for both growth as well as limiting our exposure with any one airline.

Back to the thread. I also believe that the best thing to be done is to talk to some pilots from both airlines. I also think that the comment to join the first to call with a class date is also a smart idea. Both airlines have top notch pilots, but as you already know from being furloughed, seniority is everthing.

Best of luck.

General Lee said:
If USAir tanks this Summer, then Chataqua could have a lot of exposure. Delta is doing OK for now, so ASA is a little more stable.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

That's ok, we got another near bankrupt carrier to take up the slack... UAL

That is a total of 50 jets this month.

50 jets? 13 DAL +32 UAL + 5 for whom? Congratulations on the growth.

It just keeps getting tougher to decide! Got a letter today and a "conditional offer" from ASA. Then CHQ goes and gets another 30% growth.

More questions. Any ASA folks know for sure how long the wait is for family medical benes? This is a biggie, what with my previous employer shutting down and COBRA becoming unavailable soon. Unfortunately the ASA pool system is a bit of a mystery, though it seems a class date would be soon (maybe late Apr or May?).

And how are the rsv lines usually scheduled? At ASA do you get the 1 block of 4 days and then three 2s or are the other 6 often 1 off at a time?

Please don't mistake any of this for whimpering. I am thrilled to have a choice and have been nothing but Blessed since my first furlough! I hope we all soon have such a dilemma.

Thanks again.

Swaayze said:
50 jets? 13 DAL +32 UAL + 5 for whom? Congratulations on the growth.

It just keeps getting tougher to decide! Got a letter today and a "conditional offer" from ASA. Then CHQ goes and gets another 30% growth.

More questions. Any ASA folks know for sure how long the wait is for family medical benes? This is a biggie, what with my previous employer shutting down and COBRA becoming unavailable soon. Unfortunately the ASA pool system is a bit of a mystery, though it seems a class date would be soon (maybe late Apr or May?).

And how are the rsv lines usually scheduled? At ASA do you get the 1 block of 4 days and then three 2s or are the other 6 often 1 off at a time?

Please don't mistake any of this for whimpering. I am thrilled to have a choice and have been nothing but Blessed since my first furlough! I hope we all soon have such a dilemma.

Thanks again.

The other 5 are for Delta as well. Those 5 were announced before the 13 RFP aircraft. Delta still has 25 options that are separate from the RFP annoncement.

As for working for ASA or CHQ, I think you would be happy with either company. Both pilot groups are very professional and the ASA folks have always treated me with respect. However, at both companies, you will have a handful of whiners which I suppose you would have that anywhere. I guess it boils down to domiciles, upgrade time, QOL for yourself, etc. I have been extremely happy working for CHQ and would recommend it to anyone.

Best of luck in your decision!

OldManPilot said:
sp: Chautauqua

I have to respectfully disagree. When we lost the flying for America West out of CMH, many said the same thing, but our aircraft were quickly swept up by Delta.

Nobody cares how it is spelled. They spell it wrong on purpose, in fact. Don't fight that battle...

I would go for the first company to offer you a class date.

ASA now has a huge pool (~300?), and the current classes are drawing from that pool.

New interviewing is to refill the pool, so if you're hired, you may be waiting in that pool for a long time.

Also, since we're in negotiations, anything could happen. The "phantom 25" could disappear, and all newhires could become hostages, as happened at Comair.

If CHQ offeres you a class date, you should take it. Then you have stable work until we get our ducks in a row over here at ASA. Then make the switch. Long haul, ASA is a good place to be, it's just going to be "interesting" for the next couple of years.

300 in the pool? Where did you get this info? Some of the guys I interviewed with about a month ago have been called for Apr 12.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back