• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Occurence "system"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My airline has the same occurance system as ASA. Long story short, it is a scare tactic to keep people from abusing sick time with absolutely no teeth. The company knows they will land in court if they ever take job action over the policy. The only thing they can do is stomp up and down and scream "Thats another occurance!". Fine give me 5 occurances in a year and see if it changes anything. It never does. We've got people with this company that have destroyed the yearly limits and the company can do nothing about it!

If my history is correct. I think this policy originated at Continental. I also think it went to court and the Company got shot down. Maybe a Continental guy can verify that.

The contract says you don't have to be available, so if some one answers and they're looking for you, they just say "he's not available." It'll even work if you accidentally answer the phone yourself as long as you don't ID yourself.

Last edited:
Keep good records of all visits to doctors. Anytime I am sick I go to a doctor, keep records and think about filling out an FMLA form.

They can stick their occurance system you know where. I would like to see them try to do anything to a pilot who has good records when calling in sick.

This shows how unprofessional ASA mgt. is, that they would have this kind of system that scares a lot of pilots into flying and goes against

Many pilots fly sick to save their occurance alotment allowed each 12 month period.

Sure the FARs say don't but ASA has a system in place that does not encourage safety.

I flew with a flight attendent recently that should of been at home but she did not want to use a occurance for just one day line. This then could cause her to get other crew members sick. Real smart ASA!!

~~~^~~~ said:
It is worse with the poor flight attendants. They fire them for sick calls at the drop of a hat. I have asked several flight attendants to call in sick when it was obvious they should not be out flying. They are required crew and if, God forbid, we ever have to emergency evac, how the flight attendents perform is more important to passenger safety than what I do after the parking brake gets set.

Someone should tell the people in charge of United's flight attendants that.....and they're not worthless cuz they're sick either......

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back