• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Negotiations...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At least he tries.... it is just flippin terrible when controllers clear you from FL350 to 11,000 when you are 200 NM out on a CDO and the PF starts down at 1,500 FPM right then.

Even worse when they go below 10,000 feet while still 60 miles from the destination. We don't have any newbies at ASA any more. Why do these things happen?

Look, we fly 11,000 foot downwinds in ATL and I can make it down in a 47,000lb RJ from abeam the numbers. There is no reason for early descents unless you like going slower, burinig way more than planned fuel and dodging aircraft with tail numbers that end in Echo Romeo.

Look, we fly 11,000 foot downwinds in ATL and I can make it down in a 47,000lb RJ from abeam the numbers. There is no reason for early descents unless you like going slower, burinig way more than planned fuel and dodging aircraft with tail numbers that end in Echo Romeo.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who gets nervous when we get below around 5000 ft. in the vicinity of Daytona Beach or Melbourne? Scares the he11 out of me.

You need a calculator to figure out when to start down and what your descent rate should be?

I guess I should elaboated that I can do those without the assistance of a calculator.

As for those descents that are issued 200 miles out, I like about 500 FPM until the controller gets annoyed and gives me a crossing restriction or elaborates a descent rate.

Last edited:
When you can no longer see the airport under the nose of the aircraft, descend.

Seat belt sign on, two dings, flight idle, board and landing gear at 10,000. The nose will probably hang with a momentary HYD 3 Low Pres and Gear Disagree. As long as it is out & green by flaps 30 - you're good.

Just kidding, sort of....

When you can no longer see the airport under the nose of the aircraft, descend.

Seat belt sign on, two dings, flight idle, board and landing gear at 10,000. The nose will probably hang with a momentary HYD 3 Low Pres and Gear Disagree. As long as it is out & green by flaps 30 - you're good.

Just kidding, sort of....

Sounds like Rochester where they clear for the visual 5miles from the end of the runway and you're still 6000 feet up. Stabalized approach by 500 AGL for the visual right?

Why is it you always want ALPA to drop demands and give in, never the company. How about the company getting just a small bit more productive for their money, HUH? Somewhere above 40% required staffing on the ramp? Just somewhere other than DOUBLE our next great bag looser in the industry. How 'bout them getting a little more productive. If we flew like they ran this company, we would shut down! Just because they say they are going to change doesn't mean they are.

Dick

I don't WANT to drop demands, I am just looking at the open items from a more realistic point of view. I don't want to be the next CMR. The company needs to come up on some issues and we need to come down on some. A retirement plan at this point is absurd. Improve the 401k and move on.

At least he tries.... it is just flippin terrible when controllers clear you from FL350 to 11,000 when you are 200 NM out on a CDO and the PF starts down at 1,500 FPM right then.

Even worse when they go below 10,000 feet while still 60 miles from the destination. We don't have any newbies at ASA any more. Why do these things happen?

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering why people are starting down so early.

First off, this is great news. We need to get this done.

I assume you are talking about people like me with your "sold out" comment. Nobody wanted to "sell out" to get this thing done. We just wanted ALPA to drop some of the demands. That isn't "selling out".

Nobody wanted to "sell out" the instructors, but they will have to become more productive for the money they make. I agree that it is good to have an instructor in there. The question is why did it take over 4 years to get an instructor in there? Is it safe to say the instructors will have to work harder for their money now?

The retirement plan also has to go.

Seems like BOTH sides are feeling the heat - now get it done!

Not so much you Irish. But the ones that wanted to take whatever the company was offering cause they said it was good. They were willing to sell out and leave the instructors, senior and junior pilots hanging in the wind.

The instructors were the ones that finally got themselves involved I guess. They always had the ear of the MEC/CNC just not sure about the company. If you ask any instructor they will tell you that if they got into the training dept for the money then they did it for the wrong reason. They already work hard for their money but they had ideas about how to be more efficient and productive at the same time I guess.

Latest resources

Back