ASA Negotiations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stifler's Mom said:
The set of management ones that are bouncing of your chin don't count.

Again you guys give me way too much credit. Ive never met anyone in uppermanagement let alone seen anyone with their trousers removed in the company. Sorry to spoil your fantasy. Maybe youd like to come check and do a cough test on all of us over here thatd probably stroke your fancy quite nicely.

BluDevAv8r said:
I think you are incorrect. I just had a long discussion with an ASA pilot about this issue. He has been at the company for 7 years and confirmed my belief. Here is another example for you...Scheduled for 90 hours...fly in 80 hours. What are you paid? 90 hours. Being under on every leg will only garner you your scheduled block time. The only people that are making out by flying fasther than block are the guys on reserve and the guys who do naps. Check out the examples at the back of Appendix B of your contract.
Premium only matters if you are close to guarantee. In the situation you presented, underblock pay would work exactly as you described. I am almost certain that the scenario that I laid out would pay you as listed, but like I said it is an academic exercise because that situation would never really happen.

That's why this affects so few pilots, and why I'm totally willing to trade it for something that would benefit a lot more of our pilot group.

sweptback said:
Premium only matters if you are close to guarantee. In the situation you presented, underblock pay would work exactly as you described. I am almost certain that the scenario that I laid out would pay you as listed, but like I said it is an academic exercise because that situation would never really happen.

That's why this affects so few pilots, and why I'm totally willing to trade it for something that would benefit a lot more of our pilot group.

Agreed, since they probably build most lines at least at 80 hours and it would be very difficult to fly more than 10% of your trip under block like that...

-Neal

Honestly, 10 hours of premium in an 80 hour line flying through ATL? The only way that happens is with the pen to the log. I think its a safe bet that some form of electronic timekeeping will be in place before this contract were negotiating becomes amendable. Point is, lets concentrate on guaranteed money. Doing things like duty-rig and trip-rig. Lets not forget, the other very valuable, minimum day. With these work rules, you will know the value of the line you bid. The real point of these rules is to force the company to utilize you more efficiently. That will lead to more days off. If Willy takes over again, then we will see fat checks.

I think if you do the math, these changes will result in higher overall compensation for the pilot group. Yes, I know the reserve pilots get screwed, but the majority are not on reserve and reserve in not a permenant sentence.

ASApuppy said:
Doing things like duty-rig and trip-rig. Lets not forget, the other very valuable, minimum day. With these work rules, you will know the value of the line you bid.
You make a good point. If we had Fed Ex's work rules and minimum day value an ASA nap line would be worth 110 hours of pay. Of course if we had FedEx's contract the schedule would be engineered a lot differently. I like the idea that when we are at work, we get paid.

I don't like losing premium, but if I got a 5.5 hours minimum day, I could eek out a living bidding naps to CSG :)

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
Doing things like duty-rig and trip-rig. Lets not forget, the other very valuable, minimum day. With these work rules, you will know the value of the line you bid. The real point of these rules is to force the company to utilize you more efficiently.

Anyone know if we are trying to get this? If so, what exactly are we asking for? I am sort of of the loop so sorry if it is old news.

Also do we know what the actual terms of the commuter clause that was TA'd states? The last thing I heard was two times per year which is really worthless but it is a start. Thanks.

:cool:Tim, last I heard, they were asking for a 2/1 duty rig! That would work just fine for me!! We shall see if the company pulls out their heads and plays ball! Keep your head down over there buddy and be safe!

Underblock is great, but should not be dangerous.

Most of the ASA FO's that fly naps on the 50 know we have one particular Capt. (lets call him Capt "I never knew what he was going to do next") that rushes for underblock so much so that he is dangerous. For example, rushing checklists to the point of taking off without completing the takeoff checklist. Telling the FO to do it on the roll. Nice. I flew with him a couple years ago on a 3 day that he picked up and we had words just about every leg about something he did or tried to do so nonstandard that it was unsafe.

Last edited:
GO AROUND said:
Underblock is great, but should not be dangerous.

Most of the ASA FO's that fly naps on the 50 know we have one particular Capt. (lets call him Capt "I never knew what he was going to do next") that rushes for underblock so much so that he is dangerous. For example, rushing checklists to the point of taking off without completing the takeoff checklist. Telling the FO to do it on the roll. Nice. I flew with him a couple years ago on a 3 day that he picked up and we had words just about every leg about something he did or tried to do so nonstandard that it was unsafe.

Wow. Does he get antsy and fidgety when his parking spot is occupied back at ATL the next day and he has to wait a few extra minutes on the ground? :D

-Neal

Sorry but maybe this was kinda answered in this thread already but is underblock the same idea as block or better? And what is duty rigs? I dont think I have ever heard that term over here.

Latest resources

Back